Katja Häferer joined the Munich office of Baker McKenzie in January 2009. She is a member of the Firm’s European and Global Labor Law practice groups. She advises domestic and multinational companies on employment law matters, including outsourcing and other transactions. Katja frequently speaks at in-house and external seminars, and conducts training on a wide range of employment matters. She also practiced in the Firm’s San Francisco and Palo Alto offices.
Katja routinely advises companies in relation to restructuring, major headcount reductions, negotiations with works councils as well as day-to-day employment law matters. She also focuses on the employment law related aspects of SE transformation and codetermination matters in SE supervisory boards and SE works councils. Katja's client base ranges from Germany- and EMEA-headquartered multinationals to local subsidiaries of global players based in Silicon Valley.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises in connection with plant closure and plant relocations.
- Advises Germany-based multinationals on global employment law for executive employee matters and cross-border deployment of employees in international project business comprising 190 jurisdictions.
- Organized and implemented simultaneous EU-wide works council elections for the formation of an SE works council in the IT industry.
- Advised a Germany-headquartered global player on SE supervisory board and SE works council codetermination matters.
- Advised EMEA-based multinationals in the retail industry on employment law.
- Advised an insurance firm on a major outsourcing of IT services.
- Advises on hiring and separation of high-level executives and management.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German-Australian Lawyers' Association - Member
- Germany (2008)
- Fachanwältin für Arbeitsrecht (Attorney Specializing in Labor and Employment Law) (2012)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (Assessor Exam) (2008)
- University of Passau (Referendar Exam) (2006)
- San Francisco
- Palo Alto
Co-author (with Laura Klare), "Das Schicksal britischer Arbeitnehmermandate in der SE im Falle eines 'harten Brexits'," NZA Heft 6/2019, S. 352, 25 March 2019
Co-author (with Matthias Köhler), "Praxisleitfaden Entgelttransparenzgesetz.Ein Überblick über die zentralen Regelungen und deren Anwendung in der Praxis," Springer Gabler, 14 March 2019
Co-author, "Employment Law Update Germany: April - June 2011," August 2011
Presenter, "Europe: Year End Review for International Employers Webinar," 14 December 2011
Katja regularly gives presentations on various employment law issues, provides in-house trainings for management personnel and HR staff and holds seminars at the German Association for People Management (DGFP).