Luis Gomez serves as partner in the London office’s EU, Competition & Trade Department and currently chair of the EMEA Competition Group. He advises on general competition and merger control law at both the EU and UK levels, as well as varied competition issues in a wide range of industry sectors, including the oil and gas, mining, chemicals, infrastructure, agribusiness, media, consumer goods and financial services sectors. Luis is co-author of "State Measures and Public Bodies" in PLC’s EC and UK Competition Law Practice Manuals. He joined Baker McKenzie in 1994 and became a partner in 2003.
Luis focuses his practice on a full range of competition law advice — from cartel defense and leniency, abuse of dominance, distribution strategies and global or local compliance audits, to merger control processes and the analysis of complex joint ventures and strategic alliances. He regularly appears before the OFT, Competition Commission and European Commission. Luis also has extensive knowledge of general antitrust and merger filing regimes in the US, having spent one year in Baker McKenzie’s Washington DC office. He previously assisted Shell International Limited in coordinating filing strategies for a whole range of other corporate transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Shell in its successful leniency application and subsequent European Commission investigation with respect to paraffin waxes.
- Devised and implemented ground-breaking internal amnesty initiatives for various multinational clients to detect competition law infringements.
- Advised Hewlett Packard on the competition law issues on a number of outsourcing deals.
- Represented United Business Media in a number of merger investigations, including as a successful intervener in the EMAP/ABI transaction before the UK competition authorities.
- Advised Shell on the European Commission's sector investigation on gas and electricity markets.
- Advised The Body Shop on merger filings arising out of its takeover by L'Oreal.
- Advised Kidde plc on merger filings arising out of its takeover by United Technologies Corporation.
- Advised Shell and Cepsa in relation to their joint venture for the provision of into-plane services at Spanish airports.
- Represented SR Technics before the European Commission in relation to its acquisition of FLS Aerospace from FLS Industries A/S, which led to the creation of the largest independent global platform to service aircraft maintenance needs at airports.
- Represented A/S Norske Shell in relation to the European Commission’s cartel investigation into the joint selling of Norwegian gas by the GFU, the Gas Negotiation Committee.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1996)
- College of Law at London (Merit) (1994)
- European University Institute (LL.M.) (1993)
- University of Kent at Canterbury (B.A.) (1992)
- Washington, DC