Dr. Thomas Gilles M.A.
Thomas Gilles has more than 20 years of experience representing German and international clients in mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings and general corporate law matters. He is the Chairman of the EMEA-China Group of Baker McKenzie.
Thomas Gilles's practice is focused on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings, ESG-related due diligences, as well as general company law and compliance matters. His clients include companies in a broad range of industries, including automotive, pharmaceutical, technology, energy and infrastructure. Dr. Gilles likewise advises clients from emerging markets in their outbound investments into Germany and Europe.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised shareholders of Pacoma GmbH on the sale to Legget & Platt.
- Adviced Kerry Group on the acquisition of c-LEcta GmbH from founders and VC investors.
- Adviced Kerry Group on the establishment of a Joint-Venture with Rocket Internet.
- Advised BizLink on the acquisition of cable business from Leoni AG.
- Advised Syngroh on the acquisition of KMLS and TermaCook.
- Advised Livekindly on the acquisition of LikeMeat GmbH and Fry Group Foods.
- Advised US investment bank on the establishment of a Joint-Venture with a German OEM in relation to a mobile payments business.
- Advised Enapter on a strategic partnership with Johnson Matthey.
- Advised MAT Holdings on acquisitions of Schmidt Automotive GmbH and various businesses from insolvency receivers.
- Advised Hillhouse Capital on the acquisition of Gimborn GmbH from Penta Investments.
- Advised Hitachi Koki on the acquisition of Metabo AG.
- Advised Weichai Power regarding cartel law with respect to a strategic partnership between Weichai Power and Kion Group.
- Advised Grundfos on the disposal of participation in Hilge GmbH & Co. KG to GEA, global advice on corporate and compliance matters.
- Corporate/M&A (Foreign Expertise in International Firms) - Expert based abroad, Chambers Global 2021
- The Best Lawyers in Germany 2022 edition for Corporate Law since 2018
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018
- Germany (1998)
- University of Frankfurt (Dr. jur.) (1998)
- Johns Hopkins University (SAIS) (1997)
- State of Saarland (Second State Exam) (1996)
- Johns Hopkins University, Bologna Center (SAIS) (1994)
- University of Passau (First State Exam) (1993)
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Scholz, Dr. Thomas Schänzle, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.