Dr. Thomas Gilles has more than 15 years of experience representing German and international clients in mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings and general corporate law matters. He is the Chairman of the EMEA-China Group of Baker McKenzie.
Dr. Gilles’s practice is focused on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings, as well as general company law and compliance matters. His clients include companies in a broad range of industries, including automotive, pharmaceutical, technology, energy and infrastructure. Dr. Gilles likewise advises clients from emerging markets in their outbound investments into Germany and Europe.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised MAT Holdings Inc. on the acquisition of brake pads business for passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles from Federal Mogul in Germany and France.
- Advised Pagoda Investment on majority acquisition of Ascopharm Group from Adiuva Capital.
- Advised Heidelberger Druckmaschinen on the sale of post-packaging business unit to Masterwork Machinery Co. LTD. (Tianjin).
- Advised KSPG Automotive/Rheinmetall on the joint-venture with Chinese HUAYU Automotive Systems Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of SAIC, in Germany.
- Advised Weichai Power regarding cartel law with respect to a strategic partnership between Weichai Power and Kion Group.
- Advised on the sale of Kiekert AG to Hebei Lingyun Industrial Group.
- Advised KSG Foundation on the sale of Putzmeister Holding GmbH to Shanghai-listed Sany Heavy Industry.
- Advised Chongqing Light Industry & Textile Holding (Group) Co. Ltd. on the acquisition of SaarGummi Group.
- Advised Shanghai Electric on the global joint venture with Alstom in the boiler business.
- Advised Kerry Group on the acquisition of SuCrest GmbH and Vitebsk in Belarus.
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018
- Germany (1998)
- University of Frankfurt (Dr. jur.) (1998)
- Johns Hopkins University (SAIS) (1997)
- State of Saarland (Second State Exam) (1996)
- Johns Hopkins University, Bologna Center (SAIS) (1994)
- University of Passau (First State Exam) (1993)