Mohamed Ghannam heads the Firm's Banking & Finance and Energy, Mining & Infrastructure practice groups in Cairo. He is consistently ranked in the top tier for banking and finance by Chambers Global, IFLR1000 and Legal 500 EMEA for his project finance and cross-border finance practice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted on the USD3.7 billion project financing for the Egyptian Refining Company greenfield refinery project in Mostorod, near Cairo. This was named Project Finance Deal of the Year for 2012 by the International Financial Law Review.
- Acted for the Egyptian Ethylene and Derivatives Company SAE in connection with the financing of the construction of an industrial complex, valued at USD1.25 billion, for producing ethylene/polyethylene products in El Amrya District in Alexandria. This deal was recognized as the African Petrochemicals Deal of the Year by the 2012 Euromoney Project Finance Awards.
- Acted for Egypt Hydrocarbon Corporation in connection with the construction of a USD454 million greenfield olefins complex consisting of a 2.5 MTPA naphtha cracker and 2 x 450,000 MTPA polyethylene complex at Ain Sokhna on the Suez coast of Egypt. This deal was recognized as the African Petrochemicals Deal of the Year by the 2013 Euromoney Project Finance Awards.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for Promotion et Participation pour la Coopération Économique in connection with the USD20 million financing to Wadi Holding SAE.
- Acted for the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in connection with a USD200 million A loan and USD125 million B loan to the Egyptian Fertilizer Company, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Orascom Construction Industries.
- Acted for Al Mokhtabar Medical Laboratories in connection with its merger with Al Borg Labs.
- Acted for IFC in connection with its indirect investment of EUR80 million in the equity of Alexandria Portland Cement Company, a subsidiary of the Greek cement manufacturer Titan Group.
- Acted for Tri Ocean Energy SAE in connection with its acquisition from Sahara Oil & Gas Company of a net undivided 80 percent participating interest in West Gebel El Zeit Concession.
Acted as local counsel for the Ministry of Finance in connection with the issuance of USD1.25 billion government guaranteed bonds.
Acted for the New Urban Communities Authority on two issuances of bonds, each for a total amount of USD5 billion.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- GAFI (Governmental agency responsible for incorporation of companies in Egypt - Former Member of Board of Directors
- Egyptian Bar Association - Member
- Egyptian Judges Association - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce - Former Co-Chair, Legal Committee
- Court of Cassation [Supreme Court]~Egypt (2004)
- Egypt (1985)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT) (LL.M. Dean's List) (1993)
- Harvard University (LL.M.) (1988)
- Cairo University (LL.B. High Honors) (1985)
Acted as advisor to the Egyptian Government in connection with the sale of an 80% stake in Egypt’s state-owned Bank of Alexandria to Italy’s San Paolo IMI with a winning auction bid of USD1.6 billion.
Acted for Citigroup Venture Capital International Growth Partnership L.P., Concord International Investments Group L.P., Capital International Private Equity Fund IV L.P. and Coral Growth Investments Limited in their USD459 million acquisition and financing of Amoun Pharmaceuticals and Amoun Distribution.