Nicole Freire is an experienced lawyer specializing in environmental, climate change and ESG matters. With over a decade of expertise, she has provided valuable counsel to both local and international companies in various sectors such as mining, hydrocarbons, electricity, and industrial and commercial fields. Nicole is well-versed in navigating the complexities of ongoing business development, administrative sanction proceedings, carbon markets and formulating strategic plans to secure environmental permits. Nicole has been recognized by The Legal 500 in its 2023 edition for Latin America, where she was honored as a "Rising Star" in Environmental Law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on water permits (water use licenses, discharge authorization, etc.), approval and modifications of environmental management instruments.
- Advised various entities on the execution of mining and industrial projects, as well as new components not approved in the environmental certifications.
- Advised on the conduct of the approval and awarding procedure of self-sustainable private initiative projects (biogas energy use project in the Peruvian jungle).
- Participated in the regulatory project committees of the Ministry of the Environment and advised on the elaboration of the National Regulation for the Management and Handling of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) as well as representation in the Technical Committee of INACAL for the creation of Peruvian technical standards related to WEEE.
- Lima, Peru (2012)
- National Society of Mining, Petroleum and Energy (Specialization Course of the Hydrocarbon Sector) (2022)
- Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas (Postgraduate Diploma in Mining and Environmental Law) (2011)
- Lima Bar Association (Diploma in Environmental Law and Management) (2009)
- Universidad de Lima (Law, magna cum laude) (2008)
Estudio Echecopar is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein