Lisa A. Fontenot has advised clients as to mergers and acquisitions and other complex corporate transactions, securities transactions, regulation and corporate governance matters for over 25 years.
Ms. Fontenot is ranked as a leading attorney in the Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law categories of the current and prior editions of The Best Lawyers in America©. She was previously named a Woman Leader in Tech Law by The Recorder – San Francisco, a Woman of Influence by the Silicon Valley Business Journal, and shortlisted for the 'Best in Media and Entertainment' Euromoney Legal Media Group Americas Women in Business Law Award.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers and Acquisitions:
Advised Hutch Games on its USD 275 million plus earn-out sale to MTG.
Advised semiconductor company in acquisition of Swedish technology company (2020).
Advised Initial Capital in connection with its minority investments in multiple gaming and other technology companies.
Advised a venture capital firm in connection with the merger of a portfolio company with a global software enterprise.
Advised EnPro Industries on its USD 305 million acquisition of Taiwan-based semiconductor services company LeanTeq Co., Ltd.
Advised a Fortune 100 technology company on its acquisition of Irish computer vision/AI technology company; Finnish, French and US asset divestitures; acquisition of Canadian software company; acquisition of German communications technology company; equity investment in Dutch technology company; acquisition of Dutch technology company; acquisition of RF assets from Japanese corporation; carve-out acquisition from U.S. public technology company; joint venture with technology company and private equity firm and subsequent sale of JV; communications technology carve-out divestiture to Caymans buyer; and acquisition of digital technology business from Canadian seller.
Advised Nasdaq-listed Adept on its tender offer by Omron Corporation and Adept's acquisitions of Denmark-based InMoTx, MobileRobots, NanoMotion, Pensar-Tucson, Meta Control Technologies, HexaVision Technologies and Chad Industries.
Advised Infineon on its acquisition of DSL-CPE business from Texas Instruments; USD 450 million plus earnout acquisition of cellular/satellite receiver business from LSI Corporation; and merger with Primarion.
Advised Zynga on its acquisitions of Spooky Cool Labs, Zindagi Games, PuzzleSocial, Harpan and USD 100 million asset acquisition from Peak Games.
Advised PeopleSoft on its USD 1.8 billion cash/stock tender offer of publicly-traded J.D. Edwards & Company and the USD 10.3 billion hostile takeover of PeopleSoft.
Advised Actian on its acquisition of Nasdaq-listed Versant Corporation.
Advised AT&T Services on its acquisition of Brocade Communications technology assets.
Advised Cadence Design Systems on numerous M&A matters, including its USD 253 million 'white knight' acquisition of Nasdaq-listed Quickturn Design Systems, the subject of a hostile tender offer by Mentor Graphics; the USD 300 million acquisition of Nasdaq-listed Simplex Solutions; and merger with CadMOS Design Technology.
Advised Power Factors on its sale to Oaktree Capital's Solarrus.
Advised Playdom on its USD 763 million sale to Disney.
Advised Playfish Ltd. on its USD 400 million cash and equity sale to Electronic Arts.
Advised UK-based Macrospace, Ltd. on its sale to predecessor Glu Mobile.
Advised GE Power Systems on acquisitions of Praxis Engineers and Bently Nevada Corporation.
Advised THQ on several studio acquisitions.
Advised Hungary-based Graphisoft N.V. on its acquisition of Drawbase Software.
Advised Gigatronics on its mergers with Microsource and Ultracision.
Advised Gores in its acquisition of the waterjets business of Avure Technologies from Flow International.
Advised Nortel Networks on its acquisition of Tasman Networks.
Representative private equity/strategic investments and dispositions:
- Adept - strategic common stock and PIPE financings.
- AT&T Services - equity investments.
- Cadence Design Systems - equity and convertible debt investments.
- Fortune 100 Technology company - corporate venture capital unit equity investments and debt financings.
- Gryphon Investors - restructuring and debt and equity financings of Celerity Group.
- Healthcare IT company - common equity and convertible note financings.
- Initial Capital - sale of equity of Supercell Oy to Softbank; merger of Nexmo with Vonage Holdings; multiple minority equity investments in private companies.
- Life sciences corporate venture capital unit - multiple preferred stock investments.
- M8 Capital - lead venture capital investments.
- Medem - preferred stock and convertible note financings and sale of equity investment to a private equity firm.
- Rimini Street - PIPE financings.
- Xilinx - equity investments in private companies and funds.
- Several private mobile gaming company equity financings.
Representative Capital Markets matters:
- Rimini Street - public common stock offerings (2020 and 2021).
- Next Games - US Counsel in its Finnish IPO and private placements.
- Adept - multiple public common stock offerings and registered direct offering.
- Graphisoft N.V. (representing Deutsche Bank) - IPO.
- Harrah's Entertainment (representing Morgan Stanley) - senior debt offerings.
- HP - 1441A Zero Coupon Subordinated Notes offering.
- Lexar Media (representing JP Morgan Chase) - IPO.
- THQ - public common stock offering.
- Whole Foods Market (representing Morgan Stanley) - 144A Zero Coupon Note offering.
* Includes matters before joining Baker McKenzie.
- Leading Attorney in Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law, The Best Lawyers in America
- Woman Leader in Tech Law, The Recorder, San Francisco, 2016
- Woman of Influence, Silicon Valley Business Journal, 2017
- Shortlisted for Best in Media and Entertainment, Euromoney Legal Media Group Americas Women in Business Law Award, 2017 and 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Society for Corporate Governance - Member
- American Heart Association Go Red for Women movement, Greater San Francisco Bay Area - Executive Leadership Team
- UPWARD Inc. (non-profit) - Former member of Board of Directors (2015 - 2020)
- California~United States
- University of Virginia (JD Order of the Coif) (1994)
- University of Virginia (MA Foreign Affairs) (1994)
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service (BS magna cum laude) (1990)
- Université Nice Sophia Antipolis (EU Cert., Political Science, European Community Studies) (1989)
Ms. Fontenot is Co-editor of The Practical Guide to SEC Proxy and Compensation Rules, a Wolters Kluwer treatise, and Co-author of "Audit Committee Disclosure and Related Requirements"
Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Rules to Modernize Regulation S-K Disclosure," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, September 2020
Co-author, "Fiduciary Duty Considerations For Boards Of Cos. Using AI,” Law360, January 2020
Co-author, "Implications of AI on Board Oversight,” Corporate Board Member, October 2019
Author, "Public Company Virtual-Only Annual Meetings," The American Bar Association's The Business Lawyer Vol. 73, Winter 2017-2018
Author, "Questions to Ask If You’re Considering Going Virtual," Directors & Boards, August 2017