Lisa A. Fontenot is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Palo Alto office. She has advised clients as to mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, securities regulation and corporate governance matters for 25 years.
Ms. Fontenot is ranked as a leading attorney in the Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law categories of the current and prior editions of The Best Lawyers in America©. Ms. Fontenot was previously named a Woman Leader in Tech Law by TheRecorder – San Francisco, a Woman of Influence by the Silicon Valley Business Journal, and shortlisted for the 'Best in Media and Entertainment' Euromoney Legal Media Group Americas Women in Business Law Award.
Ms. Fontenot is co-Editor of The Practical Guide to SEC Proxy and Compensation Rules, a Wolters Kluwer treatise. She appears regularly as a speaker at continuing legal education programs about transactional and securities/governance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Lisa handled the following representative M&A matters:
- Advised EnPro Industries on its USD 305 million acquisition of Taiwan-based semiconductor services company LeanTeq Co., Ltd.
- Advised a large technology company on numerous M+A and investment matters, including its acquisition of Irish computer vision and AI technology company; Finnish, French and US firewall asset divestitures; acquisition of Canadian digital identity software company; acquisition of German communications technology company; equity investment in Dutch technology manufacturing company; acquisition of Dutch parallel processing technology company; acquisition of RF assets from Japanese corporation; carve-out cable modem acquisition from U.S. public technology company; joint venture with technology company and private equity firm and subsequent sale of JV; carve-out communications technology divestiture to Caymans buyer; and acquisition of digital broadcast technology business from Canadian seller.
- Advised publicly-traded Adept on its tender offer by Omron Corporation and Adept's acquisitions of Denmark-based InMoTx, MobileRobots, NanoMotion, Pensar-Tucson, Meta Control Technologies, HexaVision Technologies and Chad Industries.
- Advised Infineon on its acquisition of DSL-CPE business from Texas Instruments; USD 450 million plus earnout acquisition of cellular/satellite receiver business from LSI Corporation; and merger with Primarion.
- Advised PeopleSoft on its USD 1.8 billion cash/stock tender offer of J.D. Edwards & Company and the USD 10.3 billion hostile takeover of PeopleSoft.
- Advised Actian on its acquisition of publicly-traded Versant Corporation.
- Advised Cadence Design Systems on numerous M+A matters, including its USD 253 million 'white knight' acquisition of publicly-traded Quickturn Design Systems, the subject of a hostile tender offer by Mentor Graphics; USD 300 million acquisition of publicly-traded Simplex Solutions; and merger with CadMOS Design Technology.
- Advised Zynga on its acquisitions of Spooky Cool Labs, Zindagi Games, PuzzleSocial, Harpan and USD 100 million asset acquisition from Peak Games.
- Advised Playdom on its up to USD 763 million sale to Disney.
- Advised Playfish Ltd. on its up to USD 400 million cash and equity sale to Electronic Arts.
- Advised GE Power Systems on acquisitions of Praxis Engineers and Bently Nevada Corporation.
- Leading Attorney in Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law, The Best Lawyers in America
- Woman Leader in Tech Law, TheRecorder, San Francisco
- Woman of Influence, Silicon Valley Business Journal, 2017
- Best in Media and Entertainment, Euromoney Legal Media Group Americas Women in Business Law Award, 2017-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Society of Corporate Governance
- Executive Leadership Team, American Heart Association Go Red for Women movement, Greater San Francisco Bay Area
- California~United States
- University of Virginia (JD Order of the Coif) (1994)
- University of Virginia (MA Foreign Affairs) (1994)
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service (BS magna cum laude) (1990)
Co-author, "Fiduciary Duty Considerations For Boards Of Cos. Using AI,” Law360, January 2020
Co-author, "Implications of AI on Board Oversight,” Corporate Board Member, October 2019
Author, "Public Company Virtual-Only Annual Meetings," The American Bar Association's The Business Lawyer Vol. 73, Winter 2017-2018
Author, "Questions to Ask If You’re Considering Going Virtual," Directors & Boards, August 2017
Author, "Lessons From Del. On Good Faith, Fair Dealing In Earnouts," Law360, August 2016