John Fedele practices in the areas of antitrust and complex commercial litigation in Baker McKenzie's Washington, DC office. He frequently represents clients before the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission in investigations of proposed mergers and acquisitions, and routinely analyzes and manages filing obligations under the Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) Act and foreign competition regimes.
Mr. Fedele focuses his practice on a wide range of antitrust and complex commercial litigation matters. He assists domestic and international companies in resolving civil disputes and government investigations arising from their business activities in the United States and abroad. His representations span a broad range of industries including, among others, finance, healthcare, medical devices, waste, energy, and chemicals. In addition, he provides antitrust counsel to companies on a variety of commercial activity including distribution agreements, joint venture arrangements, and supply agreements, as well as works with companies to evaluate their antitrust compliance programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KgaA, one of the largest suppliers of outpatient dialysis services in the United States, in the Federal Trade Commission’s investigation of its acquisition of Liberty Dialysis Holdings, Inc. The transaction was valued at approximately USD2.1 billion and involved over 100 distinct geographic markets.
- Advised Gardner Denver, Inc., a worldwide compressor manufacturer, in its USD3.9 billion sale to Kohlberg, Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. (KKR), a global investment firm.
- Advised One Equity Partners on its acquisition of Sonneborn, Inc., one of the world's largest dedicated suppliers of white oils, petrolatums, waxes and other hydrocarbon specialty products, including the coordination of premerger notifications in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised Prestige Brands Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of seventeen brands from GlaxoSmithKline, including the coordination of premerger notifications in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised Stericycle, Inc., the largest supplier of medical waste collection and treatment services, in the Antitrust Division’s investigations of its acquisitions of its largest domestic competitors, Healthcare Waste Solutions and Medserve, Inc.
- Advised Labinal, Inc., a company of the Safran Group, on its acquisition of Harvard Custom Manufacturing, Inc., a manufacturer of electrical wiring systems for commercial and military aerospace applications, and performed all merger-control analyses.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section - Member
- American Health Lawyer’s Association - Member
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States (2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2007)
- District of Columbia~United States (2007)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (2004)
- New York~United States (2004)
- New York University School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2003)
- Harvard University (B.A. magna cum laude) (2000)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.