Ben Farnell is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Real Estate Practice Group in London. He focuses his practice on commercial property law, planning and development, and real estate sustainability.
Ben advises tenants on occupational and real estate management requirements, and property development companies, investors, banks and corporate occupiers on real estate, planning and development requirements. He has advised individuals, domestic and multinational corporates, and foreign governments on all aspects of commercial property law, including a broad range of real estate development and investment opportunities, real estate financing transactions, renewable energy developments and leasing. Ben also advises hotel owners, port operators and offshore investors in relation to their planning and development requirements as well as sustainability issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a Singaporean investor on the planning and development aspects of a GBP 500 million industrial and retail park acquisition to the west of London.
- Advising a solar farm operator on the planning aspects of a reorganization of a portfolio of assets at 96 UK solar sites with an aggregate capacity of 1GW.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders on the real estate and planning aspects of a GBP 400 Million refinancing of a multi-let skyscraper investment in the City of London
- Advising and coordinating the real estate aspects of a multinational bathroom and kitchen manufacturing business worth around USD 2 billion and involving 200 manufacturing, offices and showroom properties worldwide.
- Advising a Malaysian investor on the planning and financing aspects of its GBP 2 billion acquisition, refinance and development finance of Battersea Power Station in London.
- Acting for a port operator on the development and expansion of its operations on the Thames Estuary, including planning audits and compulsory acquisition advice.
- Advising a UK developer on the planning submissions and S.106 appeal and judicial review proceedings relating to an office and retail development in Mayfair.
- Acting for a pension fund on a secured lending worth GBP 70 million.
- Advising on the planning and sustainability aspects of a GBP 350 million hotel redevelopment for an international hotel operator in prime central London.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- College of Law at York (L.P.C.) (2000)
- College of Law at York (C.P.E.) (1999)
- Durham University (B.S. Geography) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.