Claire counsels domestic and foreign enterprises, sponsors, banks and financial investors on M&A, joint ventures, projects and related financings in the energy and infrastructure sector. She has extensive experience advising on generation assets (gas, coal, nuclear, renewables), storages as well as transmission and distribution assets.
Claire's practice also covers regulatory advice such as unbundling, third party access regimes and grid fees. She also advises on all stages of project development, particularly for renewable energy facilities, from early-stage structuring to financing, and share or asset deal transactions to PPAs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Kansai Electric Power on the participation in the NeuConnect consortium which will build, finance and operate the first interconnector between Germany and the UK, i.e. two submarine 500 kV HVDC-cables.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Claire handled the following notable transactions:
- Advised ALBA Group on joint ventures regarding its China business and its service segment with Techcent in an auction process.
- Advised Commerzbank on all project related agreements in connection with the project financing of the 109 MW Hüselitz wind farm, Germany's largest onshore wind farm project in 2015.
- Advised Schuler on the acquisition of AWEBA Group, a leading tool manufacturer group.
- Advised Vattenfall on the disposal of the Vattenfall Europe Power Consult Group (Vattenfall’s engineering arm) to Palero Capital.
- Advised a consortium comprising Enovos and Swiss Life on its attempted acquisition of Thyssengas from Macquarie.
- Advised Leipa on the acquisition of a paper mill (comprising a power plant) in Schwedt from UPM.
- Advised a consortium comprising Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets, British Columbia Investment Management, Infinity Investments SA, Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, and MEAG on the successful bid for the acquisition of Open Grid Europe from E.ON.
- Advised EP Energy, a major Czech energy supplier, on German law matters related to the issuance of a high-yield bond secured by German power plants, lignite mines and renewable energy assets, and underlying lignite supply agreements.
- Advised a major German energy supply company regarding the right to pass on additional costs of electricity supply, particularly EEG/KWK surcharges and electricity tax, to customers in case of electricity supply in site networks for own electricity production.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German-American Lawyers' Association - Member
- Germany (2011)
- Fordham University School of Law (LL.M.) (2011)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (Doctor Iuris) (2009)
- Free University of Berlin (First State Exam) (2006)