Dr. Claire Dietz-Polte LL.M.
Claire advises domestic and foreign companies, sponsors, banks and financial investors on M&A transactions, joint ventures, projects and related financing in the energy and infrastructure sector. She has extensive expertise and experience in generation assets (renewable energy, gas, coal, nuclear), storage (battery, gas, oil) and grids (fiber, transmission, long-distance and distribution). Claire also advises in all phases of project development (especially for renewable energy systems, battery storage and data centers), from project structuring and financing to share or asset deal transactions and (corporate) PPAs.
In addition, Claire focuses on the implementation of projects and service agreements in the future mobility sector (electromobility, micro mobility). She is a member of Baker McKenzie's Future Mobility Group.
Claire's practice also includes advising on energy and media supply contracts as well as infrastructure (usage) contracts. Furthermore, she advises comprehensively on regulatory issues (e.g. unbundling, access regulations for third parties) in the energy and infrastructure sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised EP Power Europe in connection with the acquisition of the STEAG Power Minerals Group.
- Advised the New Energies Division of Royal Dutch Shell plc on the acquisition of the majority stake in sonnen, a leading company for intelligent energy storage systems and innovative energy services.
- Advising one of the largest European energy suppliers with respect to the further growth of its onshore renewables business in Germany, including advising on all issues related to the planning, implementation and operation of renewables projects and PPAs.
- Advised an infrastructure fund managed by B Capital Partners on the establishment of BCP Battery Holding as a platform company for the acquisition of a pipeline of battery storage facilities in Germany with a total capacity of over 300 MW. Additionally, advising on the entry of a further investor into the platform company.
- Advised Evonik on energy and infrastructure law issues in connection with the sale of the methacrylates business to the financial investor Advent International.
- Advised Macquarie on the acquisition of Forliance, a German company that develops and manages climate protection projects worldwide and trades in voluntary emission certificates, including advice with respect to template agreements for the cooperation with carbon project developers and for the sale/purchase of carbon credits.
- Advised DNS:Net Internet Service GmbH (DNS:Net) and its shareholders DBAG Expansion Capital Fund and the founder and majority shareholder Alexander Lucke, as part of the sale of a majority interest in DNS:NET to the British 3i Infrastructure plc.
- Advising automobile manufacturers and e-mobility service providers on the worldwide implementation of their business models.
- Advised the shareholders of Infrareal GmbH on the sale of all shares in Swiss Life Asset Managers and Gelsenwasser on energy and infrastructure law issues.
- Advised Kansai Electric Power on the NeuConnect consortium, which will build, finance and operate the first interconnector between Germany and Great Britain.
- Advised BCP Battery Holding on the acquisition of six battery storage projects in Saxony, Thuringia, Bavaria, and North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, and the further project development, including all project agreements (EPC, O&M, marketing agreements).
- Advising a European mineral oil company on the project development and acquisition of project rights in three German offshore wind farms as part of company’s sustainable growth strategy.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German-American Lawyers' Association - Member
- Germany (2011)
- Fordham University School of Law (LL.M.) (2011)
- State of Berlin (Second State Exam) (2010)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (Doctor Iuris) (2009)
- Free University of Berlin (First State Exam) (2006)
- Co-author (with Holger Lutz), "Öffentliche Ladestationen - Wer sind die Aktuere und Zeitschrift für das Recht der Digitalen Wirtschaft," 2nd edition, Heft 1, January 2022
- Co-author, "Unbundling of Grids," Electricity Grids: Legal and Economic Aspects, 2014
Firm Committee Memberships
- EMEA Projects Steering Committee - Member
- EMEA EMI Steering Committee - Member
- Global Renewables Subcommittee - Member
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Scholz, Dr. Thomas Schänzle, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.