Charlie Detmold is a partner in the Banking and Finance group. He is recognised in IFLR 1000 (2019) and Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2019), in particular for his infrastructure financing expertise.
Charlie has extensive domestic and international financing experience focusing on project finance, PPPs and privatisations, acquisition finance and corporate finance (particularly in the energy and infrastructure sectors). He regularly acts for borrowers and sponsors, as well as for banks and other financiers (including funds, export credit agencies and multilateral / development finance institutions), on financing transactions across the spectrum.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Charlie worked in the Sydney and Melbourne offices of a top-tier Australian firm, and also spent a number of years with a Magic Circle firm in Paris.
Representative Legal Matters
Representative matters include advising:
- Financiers / sponsors / bidders on numerous PPPs and market-led proposals
- Financiers / sponsors on various infrastructure privatisations, bids and refinancings of mature infrastructure assets
- Financiers (including ECAs / DFIs) or Sponsors on a broad range of private infrastructure projects, including renewable energy (wind, solar and battery storage), other environmental infrastructure (water treatment plants, waste-to-energy facilities), communications infrastructure (terrestrial and satellite), data centres, transport infrastructure (airports, seaports), resources projects, regulated utilities and property developments
- Financiers / sponsors on various leveraged / acquisition finance transactions (including unitranche facilities, TLB facilities, ABL / borrowing base facilities and complex mezzanine / intercreditor arrangements) for businesses across a range of sectors (retail, education, financial services, utilities, manufacturing and others)
- Borrowers / financiers (including superannuation and sovereign wealth funds) on numerous investment grade and sub-investment grade corporate facilities, capital markets issuances and other debt transactions
Professional Associations and Memberships
Law Institute of Victoria
- Supreme Court of New South Wales (2003)
- High Court of Australia (2003)
- University of Adelaide (BA, LLB (Honours)) (2000)
Charlie has published various articles on finance-related legal topics, presented training courses for the Asia-Pacific Loan Market Association and lectured in the University of Melbourne Project Finance Masters programme and the Monash University Corporate Finance Law programme.