Lothar Determann has been helping companies in Silicon Valley and around the world take products, business models, intellectual property, and contracts global for nearly 20 years. He advises on data privacy law compliance, information technology commercialization, copyrights, open source licensing, electronic commerce, technology transactions, sourcing and international distribution via Baker McKenzie's offices in San Francisco and Palo Alto. He is a member of the Firm's International/Commercial Practice Group and the TMT and Healthcare industry groups.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises global mobile and web gaming developers, including VR, AR, on regulatory restrictions, IP, contracting and data privacy, security.
- Counsels E-commerce and Internet companies on various international and domestic business and compliance matters.
- Assists companies with establishing and maintaining data privacy and security compliance matters.
- Advises on data security breach incidents and responses.
- Assists more than 100 US companies with the establishment and maintenance of electronic waste compliance schemes and product compliance regimes under U.S., European, Chinese and other countries’ laws (WEEE, RoHS, CE marking, REACH, conflict minerals, Prop 65, etc.).
- Advises major technology companies, start-ups and non-profit organizations regarding the use and release of open source software products and related business model and compliance matters.
- Provides strategic advice and contract localization assistance with respect to technology license and distribution contracts (formation, electronic contracting, termination, disputes, franchise laws, competition law matters) around the world.
- Supports and guides technology companies, manufacturers and service companies with expanding their business globally, including guidance regarding business models, entity formation, strategic contracts and compliance matters.
- California~United States (2000)
- Frankfurt/M.~Germany (1998)
- Free University of Berlin (Habilitation) (1999)
- State of Berlin (Second State Exam) (1997)
- Free University of Berlin (Dr. iur.) (1996)
- State of Berlin (First State Exam) (1994)
- State of Bavaria (Publicly Certified Banker) (1990)
- San Francisco