Samir Desai is a partner at the Firm's Tokyo office and has worked in the area of project finance since 1996. From 1999 to 2005, he worked in Baker McKenzie's Washington, DC office as a member of the Global Major Projects Group, including a term advising on transactional and energy regulatory matters in the Firm's London office.
Samir assists clients in the development and financing of natural resources, electric power, oil & gas and infrastructure projects. He also advises on environmental markets matters, including transactions under the Kyoto Protocol flexible mechanisms and trading rules.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented various Japanese companies on potential investments in proposed LNG export projects in the United States and Canada, including in relation to LNG export authorizations and risk management.
- Represented a consortium of Japanese companies on a joint venture in Hong Kong with a Chinese company for the development of a 1 GW x 2 thermal power project in China.
- Represented a Japanese company on its 100% acquisition of an infrastructure company in Brazil.
- Represented a Japanese trading company on various acquisitions in Turkey, India, Kazakhstan, the Philippines and other locations.
- Represented a consortium of Japanese commercial and government interests in the acquisition of shares of a publicly listed uranium mining company in Canada with assets in Canada, the United States, South Africa, Australia and Kazakhstan.
- Represented a joint venture of a Japanese trading company and an Egyptian state company on the construction, financing and chartering of two oil rigs.
- Represented a Japanese trading company on equity investments, direct loans and project financing in mining projects in Morocco, Argentina, Indonesia, Australia and Canada.
- Represented a Japanese electricity company on investments in electric power projects in India, Singapore, the Philippines, Thailand and the United States.
- Represented a Japanese mining company on the development and financing of a nickel mining project in the Philippines.
- Represented a Japanese company on the acquisition financing of interests in large-scale LNG development and production projects in Australia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar - Vice-Chair, Environmental, Energy & Natural Resources Section
- District of Columbia~United States (1997)
- New York~United States (1995)
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan
- American University, Washington College of Law (LL.M.) (1995)
- Albany Law School (J.D.) (1993)
- Haverford College (B.A.) (1989)
- Washington, DC
- Co-author, "Legal and tax practices on conducting business in Asia — from business start-up to expansion and withdrawal," Chuokeizai-sha, August 2011, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "Japan," International Comparative Legal Guide to Gas Regulation 2006, Spring 2005
- Co-author, Financing Issues in Renewable Energy Projects, American Council on Renewable Energy, New York City, June 2004
- "Foreign Direct Investment in India," Legal Aspects of Foreign Direct Investment, Kluwer International Press, 1999
- "Midstream LNG Projects - Typical Structures and Overview of the US Regulatory Framework", Client Seminar and Training, Manila, 14 June 2015
- "Documentation Sequence and Financing of Oil & Gas Projects", Client Seminar, Tokyo, 19 February 2015
- "International Power Project Development and Financing," Client Seminar, Osaka, 30 January 2015
- "IPP Development and Financing," Client Seminar, Nagoya, 12 December 2014
- "Exporting LNG from the United States to Non-FTA Countries," Baker McKenzie Client Seminar, Tokyo, 11 November 2014
- "Fuel Supply Agreements" Baker McKenzie Asia Pacific Power Academy/Client Seminar, Kuala Lumpur, 23 May 2014
- "India Electric Power Sector," Client Seminar, Tokyo, 20 March 2014
- "M&A in India", Baker McKenzie Client Seminar, Tokyo, 14 November 2011
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.