Samir Desai is Of Counsel in the Firm’s Tokyo office and has worked in the area of project finance since 1996. From 1999 to 2005, he worked in Baker McKenzie’s Washington DC office as a member of the Global Major Projects Group, including a term advising on transactional and energy regulatory matters in the Firm’s London office.
Mr. Desai assists clients in the development and financing of natural resources, electric power, oil & gas and infrastructure projects. He also advises on environmental markets matters, including transactions under the Kyoto Protocol flexible mechanisms and trading rules.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented various Japanese companies on potential investments in proposed LNG export projects in the United States and Canada, including in relation to LNG export authorizations and risk management.
- Represented a consortium of Japanese companies on a joint venture in Hong Kong with a Chinese company for the development of a 1 GW x 2 thermal power project in China.
- Represented a Japanese company on its 100 percent acquisition of an infrastructure company in Brazil.
- Represented a Japanese trading company on various acquisitions in Turkey, India, Kazakhstan, the Philippines and other locations.
- Represented a consortium of Japanese commercial and government interests in the acquisition of shares of a publicly listed uranium mining company in Canada with assets in Canada, the United States, South Africa, Australia and Kazakhstan.
- Represented a joint venture of a Japanese trading company and an Egyptian state company on the construction, financing and chartering of two oil rigs.
- Represented a Japanese trading company on equity investments, direct loans and project financings in mining projects in Morocco, Argentina, Indonesia, Australia and Canada.
- Represented a Japanese electricity company on investments in electric power projects in India, Singapore, the Philippines, Thailand and the United States.
- Represented a Japanese mining company on the development and financing of a nickel mining project in the Philippines.
- Represented a Japanese company on the acquisition financing of interests in large scale LNG development and production projects in Australia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar - Vice-Chair, Environmental, Energy & Natural Resources Section
- District of Columbia~United States (1997)
- New York~United States (1995)
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan
- American University, Washington College of Law (LL.M.) (1995)
- Albany Law School (J.D.) (1993)
- Haverford College (B.A.) (1989)
- Washington, DC
Co-author, "Legal and tax practices on conducting business in Asia - from business start-up to expansion and withdrawal," Chuokeizai-sha, August 2011, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "Japan," International Comparative Legal Guide to Gas Regulation 2006, Spring 2005
Co-author, Financing Issues in Renewable Energy Projects, American Council on Renewable Energy, New York City, June 2004
Presenter, "Midstream LNG Projects - Typical Structures and Overview of the US Regulatory Framework," Client Seminar and Training, Manila, 14 June 2015
Presenter, "Documentation Sequence and Financing of Oil & Gas Projects," Client Seminar, Tokyo, 19 February 2015