Samir S. Desai
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Samir Desai is a partner in the Finance and Projects Group of the Firm's Tokyo office and has worked in the area of project finance since 1996. From 1999 to 2005, he worked at Baker McKenzie's Washington DC office as a member of the Global Major Projects Group, including a term advising on transactional and energy regulatory matters at the Firm's London office. He has been recognized as a Leading Individual by The Legal 500. In the words of one client, "Samir Desai is highly experienced in all aspects of projects work, whether it is construction, LNG SPA, or M&A. He is amicable in negotiations, which works well with our corporate culture."
Samir assists clients in the development and financing of natural resources, renewable and conventional electric power, oil and gas (including LNG) and infrastructure projects. He also advises on acquisition and financing matters across multiple industry sectors, including chemicals, automobiles, telecommunications, foods and agribusiness.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd. in connection with its investment in Octopus Energy Group, a British renewable energy supplier, including their joint venture in Japan.
- Represented Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd. in connection with its investment in Principle Power, Inc., an offshore wind power technology and development company in the United States.
- Represented Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc. in relation to the transfer of its entire overseas independent power asset portfolio and that of Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, Inc. in connection with the establishment of JERA Co., Inc.
- Represented Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc. and Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co. Ltd. in relation to their acquisition of a 49% interest in four submarine power transmission cables which connect offshore wind power plants and onshore facilities in Germany.
- Representing a Japanese company in connection with its participation in a consortium proposing investments in four offshore wind power projects in Japan.
- Representing a Japanese company in connection with its proposed investment in hydropower projects in the Philippines.
- Representing a Japanese company in connection with its supply of telecommunications and installation of a data center in central Asia.
- Represented a Japanese company in connection with its joint venture for the large-scale manufacture of electric vehicle batteries in the United States.
- Represented a Japanese company in connection with its funding of a carbon capture and storage project in Australasia.
- Representing a Japanese company in connection with the formation of an offshore wind private equity fund and its investment in an offshore wind project in the United Kingdom.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia Bar Association - Vice-Chair, Environmental, Energy & Natural Resources Section
- Foreign Registered Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)~Japan (2007)
- District of Columbia~United States (1997)
- New York~United States (1995)
- American University Washington College of Law (LLM) (1995)
- Albany Law School (JD) (1993)
- Haverford College (BA) (1989)
- Washington, DC
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, "Japan," International Comparative Legal Guide to Gas Regulation 2006, Spring 2005
- Co-author, Financing Issues in Renewable Energy Projects, American Council on Renewable Energy, New York City, June 2004
- "Foreign Direct Investment in India," Legal Aspects of Foreign Direct Investment, Kluwer International Press, 1999
- "Mining Projects in the United States," Client Workshop, March 10, 2022
- "Energy Transition for Japanese Participants," Japan Institute for Overseas Investment, January 28, 2022
- "Carbon Neutrality – What is to be Done in the Chemicals Industry?" Client Seminar, March 30, 2021
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.