Juan Carlos de los Heros is the managing partner of Estudio Echecopar and Chair of Latin America Capital Markets Steering Committee. He focuses mainly in the areas of banking and finance, and infrastructure. He has been listed in International Who's Who of Professionals, Chambers & Partners Latin America and Legal 500 as a leading lawyer in project finance. Prior to joining the Firm, Juan Carlos was an international lawyer in the global project finance group of an American law firm.
Juan Carlos has extensive experience in project finance transactions as well as local and international financing, including syndicated loans, project bonds, trusts and secured transactions. He has advised not only financial entities acting as lenders, arrangers' agents and investment banks, but also borrowers and sponsors from different industries. He has participated in a number of PPPs and energy projects including providing advice in public tenders, private initiatives and the negotiation of PPP and construction agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseled the consumer division of a multinational investment banking and financial services corporation, as collateral agents and depositary banks, in connection with the USD 2.25 billion financing to Peru LNG S.R.L. for its liquefied natural gas export project (2008 Project Finance Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer).
- Counseled Villa Maria del Triunfo Salud and Callao Salud in the USD 100 million financing of the first two PPP projects in Peru for the construction and operation of public hospitals through the sale and purchase of CR–RPIs issued by ESSALUD.
- Counseled Linea Amarilla S.A.C., Constructora OAS and INVEPAR in connection with the USD 527 million financing comprising two series of notes and syndicated loans for the development and construction of a brownfield toll road project in Lima.
- Advised Minera Cerro Verde upon entering into a five-year USD 1.8 billion senior unsecured term loan credit agreement with several multinational banks as joint lead arrangers, joint bookrunners, administrative agent and other lenders.
- Advised Azteca Comunicaciones Peru, affiliate of TV Azteca S.A.B. de C.V. and Red Dorsal Finance Limited, the issuer, in the successful financing of its fiber optic network project in Peru. Red Dorsal, a special purpose vehicle, issued USD 273.7 million Senior Secured Variable Funding Notes for the project to design, finance, install, build, operate and maintain the fiber optic network in Peru that was awarded to Azteca Comunicaciones under a 20-year concession by the government of Peru. The deal won LatinFinance Magazine 2015 Project & Infrastructure Finance Awards: Best Bond and IJGlobal Latin American Telecoms Deal of the Year 2015.
- Advised BTG Pactual as the lead arranger and placement agent in financing of Proyecto Eten with USD 132.8 million, one of the first cold reserve generation plants in Peru. The deal was IFLR1000 2013 Project Finance Deal of the Year, LatinFinance Magazine 2013 Project & Infrastructure Finance Awards: Best Bond, and Project Finance Magazine's 2013 Latin American Project Bond Deal of the Year and Overall Latin American Deal of the Year.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association – Member
- International Bar Association – Vice Chair, Latin American Regional Forum (LARF)
- Lima Bar Association – Member
- Peru (1998)
- Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas (Diploma in Construction Law) (2007)
- Cornell University (LLM) (2000)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Law Degree) (1997)
Estudio Echecopar is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein