Juan Carlos de los Heros is the managing partner of Estudio Echecopar. He focuses in the practice areas of Banking and Finance, and Projects. He is listed by several publications, including International Who's Who of Professionals, Chambers & Partners Latin America and Legal 500, as a leading lawyer in project finance. Prior to joining the Firm, Juan Carlos was an international lawyer in the global project finance group of an American law firm.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseled the consumer division of a multinational investment banking and financial services corporation, as collateral agents and depositary banks, in connection with the USD 2.25 billion financing to Peru LNG S.R.L. for its liquefied natural gas export project (2008 Project Finance Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer).
- Counseled Villa Maria del Triunfo Salud and Callao Salud in the USD 100 million financing of the first two PPP projects in Peru for the construction and operation of public hospitals through the sale and purchase of CR–RPIs issued by ESSALUD.
- Advised Minera Cerro Verde upon entering into a five-year USD 1.8 billion senior unsecured term loan credit agreement with several multinational banks as joint lead arrangers, joint bookrunners, administrative agent and other lenders.
- Advised Azteca Comunicaciones Peru, affiliate of TV Azteca S.A.B. de C.V. and Red Dorsal Finance Limited, the issuer, in the successful financing of its fiber optic network project in Peru. Red Dorsal, a special purpose vehicle, issued USD 273.7 million Senior Secured Variable Funding Notes for the project to design, finance, install, build, operate and maintain the fiber optic network in Peru that was awarded to Azteca Comunicaciones under a 20-year concession by the government of Peru. The deal won LatinFinance Magazine 2015 Project & Infrastructure Finance Awards: Best Bond and IJGlobal Latin American Telecoms Deal of the Year 2015.
- Advised BTG Pactual as the lead arranger and placement agent in financing of Proyecto Eten with USD 132.8 million, one of the first cold reserve generation plants in Peru. The deal was IFLR1000 2013 Project Finance Deal of the Year, LatinFinance Magazine 2013 Project & Infrastructure Finance Awards: Best Bond, and Project Finance Magazine's 2013 Latin American Project Bond Deal of the Year and Overall Latin American Deal of the Year.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association – Member
- International Bar Association – Vice Chair, Latin American Regional Forum (LARF)
- Lima Bar Association – Member
- Peru (1998)
- Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas (Diploma in Construction Law) (2007)
- Cornell University (LLM) (2000)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Law Degree) (1997)