Andrés Crump is a Partner at Baker McKenzie's Bogota office and head of its Corporate and M&A Practice Group. He is highly recognized for his experience in complex M&A transactions, especially in the infrastructure and power generation sectors. Andrés is experienced in transaction execution and M&A with focus in the infrastructure and energy sectors. He has participated in some of the most relevant and complex transactions in the region.
Before joining the Firm, Andres was a Senior Vice President at Brookfield Asset Management Inc. where he was responsible for transaction execution activities and M&A undertakings in Latin America. Over the last 19 years he assumed key leading roles in capital deployment activities in infrastructure and power generation assets in Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru. This includes private deals, government privatizations and several open market transactions such as share acquisitions and tender offers.
He is a lawyer from Universidad de los Andes. He holds a Master degree in Finance from this university and a LL.M. degree from Columbia University School of Law.
In 2016, Andres was ranked in the Legal 500 GC Powerlist ranking and, in 2015, he was nominated by the International Law office for Latam’ s M&A Lawyer of the year.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Andrés handled the following matters:
- Acquisition in a privatization auction conducted by Colombia’s Ministry of Finance and in follow-on tender offers of an aggregate ownership of 99.7% in Isagen. Isagen is a portfolio of hydroelectric and thermal generation plants with +3GW of installed capacity and which accounts for approximately 20% of Colombia’s overall power generation.
- Acquisition of a 27% interest in VLI Multimodal S.A. to become the second largest shareholder of VLI, where Brookfield is partnering with Vale, Mitsui, and FI-FGTS. VLI is the second largest rail logistics operator in Brazil, which provides transportation of general cargo through an integrated system of railroads, ports and inland terminals. VLI’s rail consists of over 4,000 km under concession and is integrated with five inland terminals and three ports, covering eight different states.
- Acquisition in partnership with Abertis of a controlling stake in Arteris, one of the largest owners and operators of toll roads in Brazil with approximately 3,200 km under concession. The Arteris transaction triggered a change of control mandatory tender offer in the Brazilian/Bovespa stock market entailing a highly structured and complex execution process whereby minority shareholders had to be offered with the same consideration paid to the seller (OHL), including cash and shares of Abertis registered in the Spanish stock market.
- Acquisition of AVN and Tunnel San Cristobal in Chile for an aggregate of USD 900 million. AVN is part of the Santiago ring road being one of the key arteries going in and out of the city.
- Acquisition in partnership with ACS of three power transmission projects in the Northeast region of Brazil with a total length of approximately 1,600 km.
- Recognized Individual, GC Powerlist, Legal 500, 2016
- Colombia (2004)
- Columbia University School of Law (LLM) (2007)
- Universidad de Los Andes (Master in Finance) (2004)
- Universidad de Los Andes (2003)