Andres joined Baker McKenzie in 2018 as head of the M&A practice group and private equity. He is highly recognized for his experience in complex M&A transactions, especially in the infrastructure and power generation sectors. He has participated in some of the most relevant and complex transactions in the region.
Before joining the Firm, Andres was Senior Vice President at Brookfield Asset Management Inc. where he was responsible for transaction execution activities and M&A undertakings in Latin America. This includes private deals, government privatizations and several open market transactions such as share acquisitions and tender offers.
Andres worked 2 years in the Brookfield Infrastructure office in Sao Paulo, supervising several investments and assets in Brazil.
Additionally, he is board member of Isagen S.A, Grupo Carvajal S.A., Sociedad Concesionaria Vespucio Norte and Empresa de Energía de Boyaca S.A.(EBSA).
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Ecopetrol (The most important oil Company in Colombia) in the purchase of 569´472,561 shares of Interconexión Eléctrica ISA (The largest electric energy supplier on Colombia) through the signing an inter-administrative share purchase agreement with the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit in Colombia
- Advised EPM (state-owned company which supplies around 30% of the Colombian energy demand) in the acquisition of part of the assets of Electricaribe (an energy commercialization and distribution company).
- Advised Akzo Nobel in the acquisition of 100% of Grupo Orbis S.A., a publicly listed company in the Colombian Stock Exchange, mainly dedicated to the chemicals industry (paintings & coatings and complementary chemical businesses).
- Advised Liberty Mutual Insurance Company (one of the world's largest insurance companies) and its Colombian subsidiary Liberty Seguros S.A. in the sale of the shares of Liberty Seguros de Vida S.A., including two of its business lines in Colombia (professional/labor risk insurance (ARL) and individual life insurance) in a competitive process.
- Advised Brookfield Colombia Infrastructure Fund and BCIF Holdings Colombia II S.A.S. in the transaction with Northland Power Inc., whereby Northland agreed to purchase 99.2% Empresa de Energía de Boyacá S.A E.S.P.
- Advised Grupo Romero in the acquisition of a minority stake in Oleoducto Central S.A. - Ocensa (which is the main Colombian pipeline operator).
- Advised Brookfield in the acquisition of Gas Natural S.A. E.S.P., which is the gas distribution Company serving Bogotá. This transaction was completed through several highly complex open market transactions in the Colombian Stock Exchange.
- Acquisition in a privatization auction conducted by Colombia's Ministry of Finance and in follow-on tender offers of an aggregate ownership of 99.7% in Isagen. Isagen is a portfolio of hydroelectric and thermal generation plants with +3GW of installed capacity and which accounts for approximately 20% of Colombia's overall power generation.
- Recognized Individual, GC Powerlist, Legal 500, 2016
- Colombia (2004)
- Columbia University School of Law (LLM) (2007)
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia (Master in Finance) (2004)
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia (2003)