Kenneth Chua is a partner and the head of Quisumbing Torres' Employment Practice Group and Services Industry Group. He has 18 years of experience advising clients on various labor and employment issues, including compensation and benefits, employment contract and employee handbook. He serves as the legal counsel representing Quisumbing Torres for the Global In-House Center Council Philippines (GICC) . He sits in the Tripartite Executive Committee of the Department of Labor and Employment as representative of the employer sector. He participates in the Technical Working Group on Labor and Social Policy Issues of the Employers Confederation of the Philippines.
Kenneth’s practice focuses on general employment advice, compensation and benefits, pension funds, global equity services, and executive compensation and movement. He has represented multinational corporations in labor and employment matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully defended a multinational tire manufacturing company against its former employees that sued the client to ask the court to declare invalid the post-employment non-compete agreements that they signed.
- Successfully assisted a wireless enterprise and broadband connectivity company with the Department (Ministry) of Labor and Employment (DOLE)'s surprise inspection of the client in May 2017, including remedial measures that the inspector required. The DOLE eventually issued an order clearing the client of any violations.
- Assist a multinational corporation that provides insurance, reinsurance, employment benefits advice and brokerage services, in connection with the exit of its second most senior employee in the Philippines by reason of redundancy.
- Assist a leading manufacturer of semiconductors and other electronic components in implementing the employee transfer following the merging of operations of its two companies within the same factory, with the view of minimizing the risk of illegal dismissal complaints.
- Assist an international developer of video server systems and software on employment issues in relation to its headcount reduction exercise.
- Advise a leading manufacturer of medical equipment and supplies on employment laws for the Philippine aspect of its headcount reduction exercise in Asia.
- Advise a leading provider of project management software on the internal sexual harassment complaint filed by a junior employee against a senior officer.
- Leading Individual in Employment, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014-2018
- Leading Individual in Employment, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012-2018
- "A-List" of the Top 100 Lawyers in the Philippines, Asia Business Law Journal, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- Philippine Department (Ministry) of Labor and Employment - Member of Tripartite Executive Committee
- Employers Confederation of the Philippines
- Global In-House Center Council Philippines
- Philippines (1999)
- Ateneo de Manila University (JD cum laude, salutatorian) (1998)
- Ateneo de Manila University (BS Honors) (1989)
Quisumbing Torres is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.