Belle Chiou is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Taipei office. In addition to commercial law, she also has a background in the life sciences and worked as a researcher for five years. She has authored numerous publications on food law, pharmaceutical and corporate matters, among others.
Ms. Chiou has substantial experience representing local and multinational corporations in M&A projects. She also advises on healthcare matters and is highly knowledgeable about food law, insurance and IT/C.
Representative Legal Matters
Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
- Assisted Reber Genetics in relation to its launch of veterinary drugs in Asia.
- Assisted VSense MedTech Limited in its medical device business and licensing deal with National Taiwan University.
- Advised TaiGen Biotechnology Co. Ltd. on compliance issues for its licensing deal with Chinese company Zhe Jiang Medicine Co. Ltd.
- Acted for Merz Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. in relation to its distribution arrangements within Taiwan.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for Stryker in relation to its proposed acquisitions of a Taiwan-based company and a subsidiary located in Nanjing, China.
- Assisted MetLife in selling its insurance business to Chinatrust Financial Holding Co.
- Acted for MetLife in relation to the proposed sale of its insurance business to Waterland Financial Holdings.
- Assisted Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc., J&R Holding Limited and ASE Test Limited in their acquisition of 82 percent shares of Universal Scientific Industrial Co. Ltd. by tender offer.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank on its exclusive bancassurance business partnership with Prudential Life.
- Assisted Volkswagen Financial Services Taiwan in establishing its insurance agency business.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- Taiwan Society of International Law
- Taipei~Taiwan (2004)
- National Taiwan University (M.S. Biochemistry) (1994)
- National Taiwan University (B.S. Biochemistry) (1991)
- Soochow University (LL.M.) (2003)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.