Belle Chiou is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Taipei office. In addition to commercial law, she also has a background in the life sciences and worked as a researcher for five years. She has authored numerous publications on food law, pharmaceutical and corporate matters, among others.
Ms. Chiou has substantial experience representing local and multinational corporations in M&A projects. She also advises on healthcare matters and is highly knowledgeable about food law, insurance and IT/C.
Representative Legal Matters
Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
- Assisted Reber Genetics in relation to its launch of veterinary drugs in Asia.
- Assisted VSense MedTech Limited in its medical device business and licensing deal with National Taiwan University.
- Advised TaiGen Biotechnology Co. Ltd. on compliance issues for its licensing deal with Chinese company Zhe Jiang Medicine Co. Ltd.
- Acted for Merz Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. in relation to its distribution arrangements within Taiwan.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for Stryker in relation to its proposed acquisitions of a Taiwan-based company and a subsidiary located in Nanjing, China.
- Assisted MetLife in selling its insurance business to Chinatrust Financial Holding Co.
- Acted for MetLife in relation to the proposed sale of its insurance business to Waterland Financial Holdings.
- Assisted Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc., J&R Holding Limited and ASE Test Limited in their acquisition of 82 percent shares of Universal Scientific Industrial Co. Ltd. by tender offer.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank on its exclusive bancassurance business partnership with Prudential Life.
- Assisted Volkswagen Financial Services Taiwan in establishing its insurance agency business.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- Taiwan Society of International Law
- Taipei~Taiwan (2004)
- National Taiwan University (M.S. Biochemistry) (1994)
- National Taiwan University (B.S. Biochemistry) (1991)
- Soochow University (LL.M.) (2003)
Author, "New APAC Food Law Handbook," Taiwan, 2014
Author, "Regulatory Requirements for Offshore Licensing," 2014
Author, "ASEAN Pharmaceutical Harmonization and Market Access Restrictions," 2013
Author, "Licensing and Case Study," 2013
Author, "Drug Relief and Product Liability Insurance," 2013
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.