Julius Cervantes is a partner in Quisumbing Torres' Corporate & Commercial Practice Group and heads the Real Estate Focus Group. He is also a member of the Restructuring & Insolvency Focus Group. He is experienced in mergers and acquisitions, real estate, joint ventures, corporate restructuring, foreign direct investments, commercial agreements and contracts, and infrastructure law.
Julius mainly handles foreign investments, routinely advising foreign businesses on investment structures, equity restrictions, joint ventures, divestitures, M&A, corporate restructuring, infrastructure and real estate transactions. He has worked with clients from a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, construction, automotive, transportation, gaming, information technology, and consumer goods, as well as with non-profit entities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise a Japanese real estate developer on the procedure and requirements for undertaking a residential development project in the Philippines, including the formation of an incorporated joint venture to acquire the land, acquisition of the land, development and construction, and pertinent regulatory approvals.
- Advise and assist an American public company engaged in the sale and manufacture of construction products on legal matters in relation to the Philippine aspects of the restructuring of its business operations, and the sale of one of its business lines to a third party purchaser.
- Advise a subsidiary of a Thailand-based digital services and e-commerce company in connection with the proposed acquisition of full equity ownership in a Philippine e-payment company.
- Assist an industry-leading US-based company , which is engaged in the sale and marketing of therapeutic grade essential oils and other related products through a direct selling model, in connection with the establishment of its operations in the Philippines.
- Advise a Japanese manufacturer of commercial vehicles and diesel engines on its acquisition of a controlling interest in a company engaged in the assembly and sale of commercial vehicles in the Philippines.
- Advise a world leading, publicly traded engineering and project management company on its Philippine-incorporated joint venture with a multinational metal fabrication company; advise on regulatory aspects (including structuring and nationality restrictions) of local EPC / EPCM projects.
- Conduct legal due diligence for a European transportation infrastructure company’s potential joint venture, for one of the Philippine government’s largest public-private partnership (PPP) railway projects; advise on the regulatory framework for operation of public utilities and PPP projects.
- Advise a European road infrastructure company on its proposed joint venture with a local privately-owned construction company, to carry out the construction of all civil works components and other ancillary works for the hydropower projects of a joint venture energy company. Assist and advise in drafting the Shareholder’s Agreement and other relevant allied agreements for the transaction.
- Assist an Indonesian bread products company on the formation of its Philippine-incorporated joint venture that will engage in the manufacture and distribution of bread and other food products.
- Advise and assist a leading manufacturer and distributor of skin care, hair care, cosmetics, fragrances, beauty supplements and other personal care products, and beauty services in the formation of its Philippine joint venture with a company engaged in the business of beauty and luxury lifestyle brand distribution, retail, and e-commerce in the Asia Pacific region.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- German-Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc.
- Philippines (2003)
- University of the Philippines (LLB) (2002)
- Ateneo de Manila University (BS Legal Management) (1996)