Julius Cervantes is a partner in Quisumbing Torres' Corporate & Commercial Practice Group and a member of the Restructuring & Insolvency Focus Group. He has significant experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructuring, foreign direct investments, commercial agreements and contracts, and infrastructure law.
Julius mainly handles foreign investments, routinely advising foreign businesses on investment structures, equity restrictions, joint ventures, divestitures, M&A, corporate restructuring, infrastructure and real estate transactions. He has worked with clients from a range of industries, including construction, automotive, transportation, gaming, information technology and manufacturing as well as with non-profit entities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise a Japanese manufacturer of commercial vehicles and diesel engines on its acquisition of controlling interest in a company engaged in the assembly and sale of commercial vehicles in the Philippines.
- Advise a world leading, publicly-traded engineering and project management company on its Philippine-incorporated joint venture with a multinational metal fabrication company and advise on the regulatory aspects (including structuring and nationality restrictions) of its local EPC / EPCM projects.
- Conduct due diligence for a European transportation infrastructure company’s potential joint venture for one of the Philippine government’s largest public-private partnership (PPP) railway projects and advise on the regulatory framework for its operation of public utilities and PPP projects.
- Advise a European road infrastructure company on its proposed joint venture with a local privately-owned construction company to carry out the construction of all civil work components and other ancillary work for hydropower projects of a joint venture energy company. Assist and advise in drafting the shareholder’s agreement and other relevant allied agreements for the transaction.
- Assist an Indonesian bread products company on its Philippine-incorporated joint venture that will engage in the manufacture and distribution of bread and other food products. Assist and advise on the drafting and negotiation of the joint venture agreement and other relevant documents for the transaction.
- Assist a diversified global manufacturing company in the Philippine aspects of several spin-offs of certain of its business lines.
- Advise a US-based chemical company on the Philippine legal aspects of the spin-off of its construction products and packaging business into a separate public company group.
- Advise and assist an American public company engaged in the sale and manufacture of construction products on legal matters in relation to the Philippine aspects of the restructuring of its business operations, and the sale of one of its business lines to a third-party purchaser.
- Advise a diversified American industrial company on the Philippine corporate law aspects of the restructuring of its oil and gas business. Assist in the preparation of various transaction documents.
- Advise a US digital media solutions provider on the establishment of its Philippine branch and the registration of its activities with the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) to avail of tax and other incentives; assist in negotiations with the country's largest developer of BPO office spaces to lease the branch’s contact center facility.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- German-Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc.
- Philippines (2003)
- University of the Philippines (LLB) (2002)
- Ateneo de Manila University (BS Legal Management) (1996)