Ricardo Castro leads as head of the Labor & Employment Practice Group in Mexico's Baker McKenzie offices. Mr. Castro is also a professor of labor law in the business law master’s program of the Universidad de Monterrey, and is also a member of its board of directors. He has been a member of the labor mission in Mexico since 2004, representing the Mexican business sector in Germany, the Netherlands, Brazil, Canada, China, India, Singapore, Switzerland and other countries. He lectured on employment-related matters for business and union leaders in the state of Nuevo Leon. Mr. Castro represents the maquila sector in Mexico before the National Council of the Export Maquila Industry. He also represents businesses before the Mexican Permanent Labor Mission in the International Labor Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.
Mr. Castro’s practice focuses on strategic labor planning and on individual and collective employment-related litigation. He advises on preventive consultancy in human resources matters, particularly in complex, cross-border transactions. He has also counseled on employee benefits and executive compensation plans, executive mobility, pension plans, social security matters, and negotiations with unions. Mr. Castro is also experienced in labor relations in the automotive industry, particularly on individual and collective benefits.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated in strategic labor planning as the representative of national and foreign companies, such as British American Tobacco, IBM, PEMEX, Sara Lee, Delphi, Sanmina-SCI, Magna, Siemens and others.
- Participated in strategic labor planning for the successful collective termination in Goodyear and Champion.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asociacion Nacional de Abogados de Empresa - Member
- Camara Nacional de la Industria de la Transformacion - Member
- Colegio de Abogados de Monterrey A.C. - Member
- Instituto Mexicano de Ejecutivos en Finanzas - Member
- National Association of Corporate Lawyers - Labor Committee Coordinator
- American Chamber of Commerce in Monterrey - Labor Commission
- Labor Relations and Productivity Council - Member
- Maquiladora Association of Nuevo Leon before the Labor Commission of the Confederación Patronal de l - Representative
- Canada Chamber of Commerce (Monterrey Chapter) - Member
- Mexico (1981)
- Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University (2002)
- Universidad de Málaga (Administración de Negocios) (2001)
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (LD) (1986)
- Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo Leon (LD) (1981)