Fernando Castro joined the Firm in 2000, and has since practiced in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, civil and commercial law. He is a licensee in Juridical and Social Sciences and obtained his LL.M. degree from the University Of Chicago in 2008.
Mr. Castro routinely works on corporate and partnership law, as well as all legal matters related to contractual law, securities law and foreign investments. His clients include domestic and foreign multinational companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Alliance Boots with the completion of the tender offer for the purchase of 99.39 percent of the shares of Farmacias Ahumada S.A. (FASA), which are listed on the Santiago Stock Exchange. The completion of this transaction follows acceptance of regulatory approvals and the closing of the cash tender offer for the outstanding fully diluted share capital of FASA. The acquisition comprises two main businesses, which together operate over 1,400 stores, with combined revenues of around GBP835 million. Subsequently advised Alliance Boots on their second public tender offer for the shares of FASA that had not been acquired during the first tender offer and the following reorganizational process.
- Advised Grupo Security on acquisition of Compañía de Seguros de Vida Cruz del Sur S.A. (insurance company); Cruz del Sur Administradora General de Fondos S.A.; Cruz del Sur Capital S.A.; Cruz del Sur Corredora de Bolsa S.A. (stock broker); Hipotecaria Cruz del Sur Principal S.A.; y Sociedad de Asesorías e Inversiones Cruz del Sur Ltda. from the Angelini Group for USD 300 million, allowing the company to double its insurance business, as well as its life annuities stock and investment portfolio.
- Advised Atlantia in the sale of a significant stake in Chile’s Costanera Group. The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) purchased a 49.99 percent stake in the group from Atlantia S.p.A. in a transaction valued at USD1.15 billion.
- Advised Viña Concha y Toro S.A. in a capital increase for aprox. USD52 million through the issuance of common stock and its registration with the Securities Superintendency (SVS). The capital increase is structured as an offering of preemptive rights to existing holders of the Company's common stock, which will give these holders the right to subscribe for additional shares of Common Stock in proportions that allow them to maintain their current ownership percentages.
- Advised Viña Concha y Toro S.A. in the registration with the Securities Superintendency (SVS) of two lines of corporate bonds, each for USD73 million approx., and one line of notes for USD34 million approx. The bonds and notes will be placed in the public and the funds will be mainly destined to finance the Company's investment projects.
- Advised Grupo Security S.A. in a capital increase for aprox. USD114 million through the issuance of common stock and its registration with the Securities Superintendency (SVS). At a first stage, the Company issued an equivalent amount to 58% of the total capital increase, being entitled to issue the remaining within 3 years as from December 29, 2008. The capital increase is structured as an offering of preemptive rights to existing holders of the Company's common stock.
- Advised on a multimillion acquisition by Autostrade per l'Italia of a controlling stake in several companies active in the construction and exploitation of toll motorways in Chile owned by the Chilean subsidiaries of Itinere Infraestructuras.
- Advised Autostrade in a foreign loan from banco Santander S.A. (Spain) for USD113 million.
- Chile (2002)
- University of Chicago (LL.M.) (2008)
Baker & McKenzie Ltda. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.