Isabel A. P. Carty
Baker & McKenzie LLP
Isabel Carty is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Global Energy, Mining and Infrastructure group based in London.
She joined the Firm in September 2012, and has been seconded to Rio Tinto and DMGT plc, in each case based in their London offices working as part of the in-house legal team.
Isabel has been recognised by Legal 500 as a key lawyer within Baker McKenzie's Tier 1 Mining and Minerals practice.
Isabel focuses on corporate governance, reorganisations and other corporate law advisory matters, with a particular specialism in the energy and natural resources sectors. She also has extensive experience in cross border mergers & acquisitions transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised various international groups in the energy, mining, and consumer industries on the design and implementation of their global governance arrangements, including subsidiary governance and local law requirements.
- Advised various international groups in the energy, mining, and consumer industries on their global environmental, social and governance (ESG) reporting obligations.
- Advised various clients on governance arrangements with a view to obtaining B Corp certification.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Finance and Leasing on the acquisition of helicopters with a combined asset value of USD 230 million and the formation of a helicopter leasing joint venture with LCI Helicopters.
- Advised on the acquisition of a series of limestone assets in South America, Australia and Southeast Asia.
- Advised various Westinghouse entities in respect of the financial distress and subsequent Chapter 11 bankruptcy process of Westinghouse LLC and certain of its subsidiaries, including the Chapter 11 exit and associated sale process.
- Acted for the seller in respect of put and call option arrangements in respect of a mineral processing complex in Saudi Arabia.
- Acted for the purchaser on the potential acquisition of distressed oil and gas interests in Egypt, Morocco and Tanzania.
- Acted for the seller in the dual track distressed sale process in respect of the seller's grinding media business.
- Acted for the seller in the distressed sale of an interest in oil and gas assets in Azerbaijan.
- Acted for a storage terminals company in relation to a mergers and acquisitions transaction.
- Advised a private equity client on its investment in a coal mine.
- Acted for Turquoise Hill on the USD 300 million sale of its stake in Altynalmas Gold by way of competitive auction.
- Acted for a client in relation to the acquisition of a gold mine in Nigeria.
- Acted for Leemar Investments FZE on its acquisition of a 50% interest in the SushiSamba restaurant business and the establishment of a separate joint venture with SushiSamba's founders for the expansion of the brand.
Isabel is a member of Baker McKenzie's BakerWomen gender diversity and inclusion group, Pro Bono Committee and Graduate Recruitment Committee. She also serves as a trustee on the board of The National Pro Bono Centre.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- University of Law (LLB) (2011)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (MSc Human Rights) (2009)
- University of St. Andrews (MA Honors in International Relations) (2008)
Co-author, "The continued rise of ESG investor demands in the mining sector," Lexology, 26 January 2023
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.