Dr. Janet Butler is a Counsel in Baker McKenzie's Public Law practice group in Berlin and a member of the European Energy, Mining & Infrastructure and the global Environmental practice groups. Having joined Baker McKenzie in 2001, Janet has almost 20 years of experience advising companies, financial institutions and public authorities in the field of public law, with a focus on regulated industries, such as the chemicals, energy and infrastructure sectors. Janet has worked in the Firm's Berlin, Frankfurt and London offices.
Janet has experience in advising clients on the allocation and management of environmental liability and regulatory risks in the context of M&A transactions and project developments. Her practice focuses in particular on environmental, planning and building law as well as subsidy and EU state aid law issues. She also has significant experience advising on privatizations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Evonik on the carve-out and subsequent sale of its EUR 3 billion methacrylate business to Advent International, including coordination of environmental matters worldwide.
- Advised Bayer AG on environmental matters in connection with the sale of its participation in the chemical park operator Currenta and related real estate to Macquarie Infrastructure.
- Advised EP Power Europe, a.s., a subsidiary of the Czech energy supply company EPH, on environmental matters in connection with the acquisition of STEAG Power Minerals Group.
- Advised Air Liquide on environmental matters in connection with the sale of the Schülke Group, a leading international company in the fields of hygiene and infection prevention, to the Swedish financial investor EQT.
- Advised the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania as a project manager appointed pursuant to the German Energy Act in the planning and permit procedure for several offshore grid connection cables in the Baltic Sea.
- Advised Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc. and Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co. Ltd. on the acquisition of participations in two Offshore TSOs that operate the offshore HVDC transmission lines BorWin 1, BorWin 2, DolWin 2 and HelWin 2.
- Advised Commerz Real Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft on the acquisition of several wind farms in Eastern Germany.
- Advised a consortium of fund managers, including First State Investments, on the acquisition of the ferry operator Scandlines.
- Advised an investor in the structured bidding procedure under EU State aid law for the acquisition of the holding of a Federal State in a German regional airport.
- Advised Infracapital, the infrastructure equity investment arm of M&G Prudential, on its investment in the CCNST Group (including the telecommunications network operator Amplus AG), a leading provider of broadband services in Southern Germany.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Gesellschaft für Umweltrecht (Society for Environmental Law) - Member
- Germany (2002)
- University of Würzburg (Dr. iur., summa cum laude) (2002)
- Würzburg Regional Court (Assessor Exam) (1998)
- University of Würzburg (Referendar Exam) (1996)
- Co-author (with Verena Bärenbrinker), "Die Rechtsprechung der Europäischen Gerichte auf dem Gebiet des Beihilferechts im Jahr 2019," EWS, Volume 2, April 2021
- Co-author (with Marc Gabriel, Andreas Schulz, Katharina Weiner und Maximilian Voll), "Handbuch Vergaberecht," Marc Gabriel / Wolfram Krohn, 3rd edition, 24 March 2021, beck-shop.de
- Co-author (with Johannes Döveling, Caroline Heinickel, Nicolas Kredel, Holger Lutz, Jens Rubart, Joachim Scherer, Matthias Scholz), "TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz Kommentar," 3rd edition 2021, ESV Medien, 10.11.2020
- Co-author (with Matthias Scholz, Joachim Scherer, Caroline Heinickel, Nicolas Kredel, Holger Lutz, Jens Rubart),"TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz - Kommentar," 3. Auflage 2020, Erich Schmidt Verlag, September 2020
- Interviewee, "Entschädigung kommt nur bei rechtswidriger Anordnung in Betracht," Börsen-Zeitung, 15.8.2020
- Co-author (with Verena Bärenbrinker), "Die Rechtsprechung der Europäischen Gerichte in dem Gebiet des Beihilferechts im Jahre 2018 | 11," Europäisches Wirtschafts- und Steuerrecht, Betriebs-Berater Europa, S. 1 - 60, 31 JG.3.3.2020
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.