Dr. Janet Kerstin Butler
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern
Dr. Janet Butler is a Counsel in Baker McKenzie's Public Law practice group in Berlin and a member of the European Energy, Mining & Infrastructure and the global Environmental practice groups. Janet has more than 20 years of experience advising companies, financial institutions and public authorities in a broad range of public law matters, with a focus on regulated industries (chemicals, life sciences, (renewable) energy and infrastructure). Janet has worked in the Firm's Berlin, Frankfurt and London offices.
Janet regularly advises clients on the management of environmental liability and regulatory risks in the context of M&A transactions and project developments, covering all stages of project development. She has extensive experience advising on environmental, planning and permitting issues as well as subsidy and EU state aid law. She also advises on the implementation of projects in the broadband infrastructure and future mobility sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Evonik on the carve-out and subsequent sale of its EUR 3 billion methacrylate business to Advent International, including coordination of environmental matters worldwide.
- Advised Bayer AG on environmental matters in connection with the sale of its participation in the chemical park operator Currenta and related real estate to Macquarie Infrastructure.
- Advised an international energy company on the acquisition of participations in several project companies that hold rights to offshore wind projects in the North Sea
- Advised the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania as a project manager appointed pursuant to the German Energy Act in the planning and permit procedure for several offshore grid connection cables in the Baltic Sea.
- Advised an industrial association on funding opportunities in Germany for hydrogen storage facilities.
- Advised a luxury automotive manufacturer on the development and implementation of its business model in line with regulatory requirements under the German Charging Point Ordinance and the EU Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Directive.
- Advised an investor on the acquisition of all shares in the German broadband network operator GVG Fiber.
- Advised an infrastructure investor in the bidding procedure for the acquisition of a participation in the German broadband network operator inexio.
Subsidies and State Aid
- Advised an international pharmaceuticals company on the EU State aid rules for research and development collaboration projects with universities and research organizations.
- Advised an investor in the structured bidding procedure under EU State aid law for the acquisition of the holding of a Federal State in a German regional airport.
- Advised CureVac AG in the public tender of the German Federal government for the procurement of manufacturing capacities for the purposes of national pandemic preparedness.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Gesellschaft für Umweltrecht (Society for Environmental Law) - Member
- Germany (2002)
- University of Würzburg (Dr. iur., summa cum laude) (2002)
- Würzburg Regional Court (Assessor Exam) (1998)
- University of Würzburg (Referendar Exam) (1996)
- Author of the chapter "Subsidy law and EU State aid rules", in: Kästle/Svernlöv (eds.), Legal Due Diligence in International M&A Transactions, 2022 (forthcoming)
- Co-author (with Verena Bärenbrinker), "Die Rechtsprechung der Europäischen Gerichte auf dem Gebiet des Beihilferechts im Jahr 2020," EWS, Volume 6, December 2021
- Co-author (with Verena Bärenbrinker), "Die Rechtsprechung der Europäischen Gerichte auf dem Gebiet des Beihilferechts im Jahr 2019," EWS, Volume 2, April 2021
- Co-author (with Marc Gabriel, Andreas Schulz, Katharina Weiner und Maximilian Voll), "Handbuch Vergaberecht," Marc Gabriel / Wolfram Krohn, 3rd edition, 24 March 2021, beck-shop.de
- Co-author (with Johannes Döveling, Caroline Heinickel, Nicolas Kredel, Holger Lutz, Jens Rubart, Joachim Scherer, Matthias Scholz), "TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz Kommentar," 3rd edition 2021, ESV Medien, 10.11.2020
- Co-author (with Matthias Scholz, Joachim Scherer, Caroline Heinickel, Nicolas Kredel, Holger Lutz, Jens Rubart),"TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz - Kommentar," 3. Auflage 2020, Erich Schmidt Verlag, September 2020
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Scholz, Dr. Thomas Schänzle, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.