Dr. Janet Butler joined Baker McKenzie in 2001. Her main areas of practice include energy law, subsidy/state aid law and environmental & planning law. She also has significant experience advising on privatizations. She is a member of the Germany Public Law Practice Group as well as the European Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Practice Group.
Janet advises companies and public entities in the fields of public law and governmental regulation, with a particular focus on the energy sector and renewable energy industry. She advises clients in the energy sector on regulatory, contractual, building and planning law issues, especially in the context of solar and wind park projects in Germany.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania as a project manager in two planning approval procedures for the construction of six grid connection lines for offshore wind farm clusters in the Baltic Sea.
- Advised the governments of the German states of Brandenburg and Lower Saxony in connection with the privatization of their state-owned hospitals, including advice on relevant legislation.
- Advised several clients on energy and planning law issues in connection with the construction of wind and solar farms.
- Advised a multinational industrial client on the negotiation of gas and electricity supply contracts for its German subsidiary.
- Advised several industrial clients on subsidy issues, in particular regarding compliance with the conditions of subsidy grants, the transfer of subsidy grants and the avoidance of a subsidy revocation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Institute for Energy and Competition Law in the Municipal Utilities Sector (EWeRK) - Member
- Gesellschaft für Umweltrecht (Society for Environmental Law) - Member
- Forum Umweltrecht - Member
- Germany (2002)
- University of Würzburg (Dr. iur. summa cum laude) (2002)
- Würzburg Regional Court (Assessor Exam) (1998)
- University of Würzburg (Referendar Exam) (1996)
Co-author (with Susanne Mertens, Andreas Schulz, Katharina Weiner), "Handbuch des Vergaberechts," 2nd edition, 2037 pages, CH. Beck, October 2017
Co-author, "Federal Cabinet Approves Legislative Package Limiting Future Fracking Operations in Germany," April 2015
Co-author, "Government Introduces Bidding Processes for Freestanding PV Installations," February 2015
Co-author, "Reform of the Renewable Energy Sources Act Passes Parliament," July 2014
Co-author, "The European Court of Justice's Judgment in Ålands Vindkraft is Good News for the EU Renewables Sector," July 2014