Julia Braun joined Baker McKenzie in January 2018 as a member of the Firm's Corporate group in the Munich office. Julia has more than 11 years of professional experience in local and international M&A, private equity, growth capital, venture capital and equity capital markets transactions. Her experience includes working with biotech and life science companies and their financial sponsors.
Julia served as member of her previous law firm's pro bono committee for 10 years.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised the German biotech company MODAG on the in-licensing of an innovative substance portfolio (SERY 433) from Max Planck Innovation GmbH to combat neurodegenerative diseases and on the closing of a EUR 12 million Series A financing round, led by the Massa Investment AG, Switzerland.
Advised LSP as lead investor in DNA Script on the oversubscribed Series B fundraising of USD 38.5 million for accelerated product development and commercial operations in the US of DNA Script.
Advised Hitachi Chemical Company, Ltd., a leading manufacturer of functional materials and advanced components with a strong portfolio in the life sciences industry, on the takeover of German apceth Biopharma, a contract development and manufacturing organization for complex cell-based regenerative gene therapy products.
Advised Forbion Capital Partners as lead investor on a EUR 17 million Series C financing of Omeicos Therapeutics GmbH, a privately held biopharmaceutical company based in Berlin.
Advised Forbion Capital Partners as investor counsel on a USD 54 million Series A financing of Gotham Therapeutics Corporation, based in Germany and the US.
Advised B.C. Jindal Group on the acquisition of Treofan Group, a former Celanese subsidiary from Italian private equity investor M&C S.p.A.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Julia handled the following matters:
Advised a selling investors consortium including Boehringer Ingelheim, Forbion, MP Healthcare, Sunstone Capital and Wellington Partners in an auctioned cross border acquisition of German Rigontec, a leader in RIG-I targeting RNA therapeutics by Merck Sharp Dohme.
- Advised as investor counsel the lead investor LSP Life Sciences Partners on all legal aspects of Cardior Pharmaceuticals’ Series A Financing, a university carve-out including equity financing, in-licensing of intellectual property from Medizinische Hochschule Hannover and Max Planck Gesellschaft as well as hiring of key personnel.
Advised a sellers' consortium led by HeidelbergCapital and Creathor Venture on the sale of their shares in Accovion, a leading European full-service CRO headquartered in Frankfurt to Clinipace Worldwide Inc.
- Advised NORMA Group AG on its EUR 386 million initial public offering on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (DACH deal of the year award at the 2012 Real Deals Private Equity Awards for 3i’s successful investment in NORMA).
- Germany (2006)
- University of Cape Town (LLM) (2005)
- Higher Regional Court of Dusseldorf (Second State Exam) (2004)
- University of Bayreuth (First State Exam) (2001)
Author "Virtuelle Beteiligungsprogramme und ihre Behandlung im Exit. Eckpunkte der Ausgestaltung und Abwicklung", Biotechnologie 03-2019, S. 118-119
Merger Control - Transaction Value Thresholds, Killer Acquisitions, Licensing Deals and other Developments
15th Annual Baker McKenzie Healthcare Industry Legal and Compliance Forum