Nadia Banno is a Consultant in the Firm's Dispute Resolution department in London.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Nadia held the position of Head of Litigation at the BBC where she advised the executive board and senior management on a wide range of high profile disputes, inquiries and investigations.
Nadia primarily advises clients in the media and technology sector on content-related disputes including defamation, malicious falsehood, privacy, data protection and harassment. She has extensive experience in Ofcom Broadcasting Code regulation and investigations, and related judicial review proceedings.
Nadia is also seasoned in advising corporate clients on the legal aspects of crisis and reputation management particularly in the context of sensitive inquests and inquiries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a major broadcaster in high value defamation and breach of confidence proceedings in the High Court of England and Wales.
- Acting for a leading social media platform in a Coroner's inquest.
- Advising a broadcaster on Ofcom Broadcasting Code sanctions and related judicial review proceedings.
- Acted for a major newspaper on a multi-jurisdictional defamation action brought by a high profile PEP issued in the High Court of England and Wales.
- Advised a senior professional in relation to his privacy rights against a major book publisher, which resulted in the withdrawal of the relevant chapter from the book prior to publication.
- Acted for a leading newspaper on a privacy and data protection claim brought by US-based high profile individuals in the High Court of England and Wales.
- Regularly advises clients on reputation management pre- and post-publication including securing apologies, corrections and damages against media and social media publications.
- Advised a major newspaper on a multi-party commercial litigation claim issued in the High Court of England and Wales which settled following mediation.
- Advises clients on Parliamentary Select Committee appearances (including the Digital, Culture, Media and Sports Committee and the Public Accounts Committee).
- Conducted internal investigations into allegations of bribery and other serious misconduct (including historic allegations of misconduct on company premises).
- Listed in The Lawyer Hot 100, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2008)
- Federal Court of Australia~Australia (2002)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2002)
- Supreme Court of Victoria~Australia (2002)
- Monash University (LL.B., Honours) (2000)
- University of Melbourne (Bachelor of Commerce) (1997)
- Author, "Why trust matters during a corporate crisis: tips for senior counsel," Regulatory and Public Law Group Annual Digest, 2015