Nadia Banno is a consultant in the Firm's Dispute Resolution department in London.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Nadia held the position of Head of Litigation at the BBC where she advised the executive board and senior management on a wide range of high profile disputes and investigations.
Nadia advises clients on disputes and complaints in all areas of media law including defamation, malicious falsehood, privacy, harassment, data protection, freedom of information, regulatory and public law, and commercial disputes. She also advises clients on the legal aspects of crisis and reputation management particularly in the context of sensitive investigations, inquiries and litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major newspaper on a multi-jurisdictional high profile defamation action issued in the High Court of England and Wales.
- Advised a major newspaper on a high profile privacy and data protection claim issued in the High Court of England and Wales.
- Advising a major broadcaster on editorial compliance matters.
- Regularly advises social media clients on content complaints primarily in the areas of defamation, privacy, data protection and harassment.
- Advised a senior professional in relation to his privacy rights against a major book publisher, which resulted in the withdrawal of the relevant chapter from the book prior to publication.
- Regularly advises clients on reputation management pre- and post-publication including securing apologies, corrections and damages against media (and other) publications.
- Advised a major newspaper on a multi-party commercial litigation claim issued in the High Court of England and Wales.
- Advises clients on Parliamentary Select Committee appearances (including the Digital, Culture, Media and Sports Committee and the Public Accounts Committee).
- Advises corporations on their civil liabilities arising from data protection breaches (including notification to the Information Commissioner, other regulators and crime authorities), complaints from individuals and related litigation, and third party requests for personal data.
- Conducted internal investigations into allegations of bribery and other serious misconduct.
- Listed in The Lawyer Hot 100, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2008)
- Federal Court of Australia~Australia (2002)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2002)
- Supreme Court of Victoria~Australia (2002)
- Monash University (LL.B. Honours) (2000)
- University of Melbourne (Bachelor of Commerce) (1997)