Marco Alarcon is a partner at Estudio Echecopar. He has participated in private and public securities issuances, including securitization processes, and transactions involving the acquisition of companies and assets. He also taught Commercial Law at Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru from 2007-2009.
According to Chambers & Partners, clients say "he stands out for being a hard-working lawyer; he is very meticulous and detail-oriented and has made a strong impact on interviewees," while Latin Lawyer says "he is very client-oriented with a bright mind and an ability to interact and negotiate with banks in a kind and friendly manner, despite the pressure of closings."
London-based International Law Office recognized Marco at the Client Choice Awards in the Banking category in 2012 and General Corporate for Peru in 2013. The award recognizes the excellent treatment and service given to clients, as well as the ability to further valorize clients.
Marco is experienced in private and public securities issues, as well as securitization processes, and advises local and foreign financial entities (as lenders or arrangers), investment banks and different borrower companies. He has also participated in local and international finance transactions including syndicated loans, project finance, real estate financing, trusts and guarantees, and the acquisition of companies and assets.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising ATC (American Tower) in the several real estate matters required by the development and operation of telecoms equipment and installations.
- Advising Goldman Sachs & Co. in the acquisition of several real estate properties owned by a Peruvian bank entity, as part of a mortgage loan and real estate portfolio.
- Advised Interbank in connection with a S/ 150 million (approximately USD 44 million) credit facility granted to Corporacion Primax to prepay certain outstanding debts.
- Advised Peru Belmond Hotels S.A. in the USD 25 million loan granted by Scotiabank Peru S.A.A. The financing was used for CAPEX and prepayment of debt, and was secured by an assets trust, a cash flow trust and an assignment of a management agreement.
- Advised Banco Internacional del Peru S.A.A., Itau Unibanco S.A., Nassau Branch and Bancolombia Panama S.A. in the USD 120 million facility granted to Agrojibito S.A., Jibiport S.A.C. and Agropecuaria Aurora S.A.C. for the purchase of the distressed assets of Maple Etanol S.R.L. and Maple Biocombustibles S.R.L.
- Advised Scotiabank Peru S.A.A. for the loan amounting to S/150 million granted by Scotiabank Peru S.A.A. to Alicorp S.A.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lima Bar Association
- Peruvian-British Chamber of Commerce - Corporate Social Responsibility Committee Member
- AmCham Peru - Legal Affairs Committee Member
- Consulting Commission of Investment, Negotiations and Foreign Trade of the Lima Bar Association - Member (2003-2004)
- Consulting Commission of Oil Regulations (2001) and Foreign Trade (2001-2002) of the Lima Bar Association - Member
- Peru (1996)
- ESAN Graduate School of Business (Specialization Course Project Finance) (2015)
- ESAN Graduate School of Business (Post Graduate Degree Finance & Corporate Law) (2004)
- University of Texas (LLM) (1997)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (LLB) (1996)
"Financing of Investments through Securitization Operations," Revista Capitales (Procapitales), 2011
"Issuance of Leasing Bonds," Gestion, 2011
"Interest Rates, Can They Go Lower?" Legal Supplement of Diario Oficial El Peruano, July 2005
"Securitization of Assets," Hechos & Derechos Magazine, September 2004
"Amendment to the Regulations on Securitization of Assets Process: Minimum Capital," Diario Oficial El Peruano, July 2004