Hani is a partner in the corporate practice group. He has extensive experience advising both strategic and financial investors on a wide range of regional and international M&A, joint ventures and equity capital markets transactions. Hani has practiced in Egypt, the UAE and KSA for over 15 years and has on-the-ground experience acting on inbound and outbound M&A and other corporate transactions across the MENA region. He has also acted for a number of clients on transactions in sub-Saharan Africa, Southeast Asia and Europe.
Hani's practice focuses on M&A and corporate .
Representative Legal Matters
Before joining Baker McKenzie, Hani handled the following deals:
- Advising Investec Asset Management on its acquisition of a controlling stake of Spinneys Egypt through a competitive auction process. The transaction marked the first private equity investment for Investec in Egypt.
- Advising Dubai Investments on its direct investment into Africa Crest Education Holdings (ACE) with an initial target pipeline of projects in Kenya, Egypt, South Africa, Uganda and Morocco.
- Advising Akzo Nobel Powder Coatings Limited on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Egypt-based Coatech for Chemical Industries S.A.E.
- Advising the Abraaj Group on a number of transactions including: the acquisition of the Cleopatra Hospital in Cairo, Egypt; the mandatory tender offer to acquire up to 100% of the shares in Cairo Medical Centre in Cairo, Egypt; and the bid to acquire a stake in a leading MENA lubricants manufacturing entity in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising one of the preferred bidders on the bid to acquire the retail banking business of Citibank in Egypt.
- Advising power management company Eaton on its joint venture arrangements with Abunayyan Holding. The transaction involved complex combination of business units by entities within the groups of the joint venture partners.
- Advising Gulf Capital on its acquisition of a majority stake in an IP business in the Middle East.
- Advising Emirates International Telecom Company – Du on its joint venture arrangements with Batelco, the primary telecom operator in the Kingdom of Bahrain, in relation to a regional data centers business in MENA.
- Advising a listed GCC diversified Investments Company on the acquisition of Omnix International, a technology-enabled services group based across several Middle Eastern jurisdictions, including the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Iraq and Jordan.
- Advising Stolt-Nielsen and Avenir LNG Ltd (Avenir) in connection with the investment by Stolt, Golar LNG Ltd and Höegh LNG Holdings Ltd. of USD 182 million into Avenir, an LNG logistics provider engaged in the delivery of LNG to areas of stranded demand, as well as the development of LNG bunkering capabilities.
- Egypt (2004)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LLM) (2008)
- Cairo University (LLB) (2004)
- Co-author, KSA merger control chapter, Getting the Deal Through, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 editions
- Co-author, news article in relation to the then new mortgage law in the UAE, Gulf News, 2008
Helmy Hamza & Partners is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.