Lamyaa Gadelhak is a partner at Helmy, Hamza & Partners, Baker McKenzie Cairo, where she co-heads the Banking & Projects Practice Group. She has over 15 years of experience working on the entire spectrum of banking and finance as well as on major projects development including in the field of energy, mining, infrastructure, and in environmental markets and climate change. Lamyaa has been at the forefront of Baker McKenzie's efforts in expanding the Firm's expertise in other jurisdictions, including in Africa. She is currently a member of the Firm's Africa Initiative Steering Committee and of the Global Project Finance Steering Committee. She was also a member of the Firm's EMEA Banking & Finance Steering Committee and EMEA Financial Institutions Working Group.
She is a member of the Institute for Energy Law of the Center for American and International Law and the Egyptian Bar Association. Lamyaa has contributed to various publications, offering insights on renewable energy, banking and finance, emissions trading, climate change, and carbon capture and storage. She also regularly speaks and sits at panels on renewable energy and climate change at industry conferences. Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR have all ranked Lamyaa as a leading lawyer and recognized her various contributions and distinguished work in the field.
Representative Legal Matters
Banking & Finance/Energy, Mining and Infrastructure
Represented the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company (EETC) in connection with 200 MW Kom Ombo solar PV project.
Acted as a sponsor counsel for ACWA Power in connection with three solar PV power plant projects under the second round of the feed-in tariff program. The three projects have a total capacity of 165.5 MW at a total investment value of USD 190 million 75% of the project cost is financed through a non-recourse project debt from European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. The remaining 25% will be coming through equity capital from the sponsors.
Represented the project companies sponsored by Acciona Energia S.A, Swicorp and TBEA Xinjiang Sunoasis Co., Ltd. in connection with three solar energy projects each of 50MW participating in the Second Round of the Egyptian feed-in tariff scheme. Global Multilateral Deal of the Year Award: Egypt Solar 2017 – Project Finance International Magazine.
Acting as local counsel to Carbon Holdings in relation to its USD 10 billion mega petrochemical complex by Tahrir Petrochemical Corporation in the North West Gulf of Suez Special Economic Zone to be financed by the Export-Import Bank of the United States, the Export-Import Bank of Korea and the Korea Insurance Corporation.
Represented African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) in a USD 150 million Revolving Facility Agreement dated 15 March 2019 and made amongst El Sewedy Electric S.A.E as Borrower.
Acted as local counsel to the Standard Charted Bank (as original lender and mandated lead arranger) in connection with USD 100 million term loan facility to African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank).
Acted as local counsel for Standard Chartered Bank (as agent, mandated lead arranger and original lender) in connection with USD 300 million short term facility to African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank).
Environmental and Climate Change
Working with other lawyers of the Firm in the climate change practice group discussing Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) opportunities in Egypt. Also, assisting Partner from Sidney Office in accessing potential CDM project for a client in Egypt (confidential).
Represented Egypt hydrocarbon Corporation in connection with the Service Agreement on the reduction of nitrous oxide (N2O) emissions under the CDM.
Represented TriOcean Carbon & Renewable Energy S.A.E. as potential project developer in connection with various solar concentration plant projects in Egypt.
- Band 2, Chambers Global Banking & Finance, 2018 and 2019
- Next Generation Lawyer, Legal500 Energy, 2019
- Band 2, Chambers Global Banking & Finance, 2018
- Band 3, Chambers Global, Banking & Finance, 2017
- Up and coming lawyer, Chambers Global, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Institute for Energy Law of the Center for American and International Law - Member
- Egypt (2005)
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (LLM International and European Business Law) (2007)
- Cairo University (Bachelor of Law) (2004)
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (Maitrise in Business Law) (2004)
- Speaker, "Law Talks '18 Raising the Bar," The Law Magazine, November 2018
- Co-author, "A Legal Perspective on Egypt's Energy Sector", Law Today Magazine, Q3 2017
- Speaker, "Women in the Legal Profession," Legal Web II conference, March 2017
- Interview in "Law Vibes Section of Legal Web II," Post Conference Report, March 2017
- Speaker, "Renewable energy panel," Euromoney Conference, 2010
Firm Committee Memberships
- Professional Development Committee - Member, Cairo office
- EMEA Banking & Finance Steering Committee - Member