Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are building a team to provide world-class innovative, creative and efficient business services to our Firm and clients. As an innovative hub connected with the Firm's offices globally, Baker McKenzie's Tampa Center will provide all aspects of business support for the Firm and its global clients in the areas of Alternative Legal Services, Finance, Technology, Knowledge, Operations, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, and People.
Our clients are facing more competition and challenges, which demands faster, commercially sound responses, more competitive prices, better quality, continuous innovation and higher levels of legal and business knowledge. The Tampa Center will help us continue to deliver precisely that, by centralizing many of our services in an appealing market.
To be principally responsible for the management of the Knowledge support teams (the Teams) within the Tampa Center; build up the Teams to become a centre of excellence, providing a broad range of support services, including for:
- content: collection, structuring, profiling, summarising, redacting, tagging, uploading and support, in relation to BakerWorld, Harmony (global know-how system), the Current Awareness platform and other knowhow systems
- practice groups and industry groups
- research, surfacing and aggregating information, and analysis
- information resource procurement management
- the provision of specific knowledge-related reports, e.g. systems and content usage and knowledge contributions
- legal training administration
- general administration and specific projects
To work with the Director of Knowledge Operations to build a compelling Knowledge Services value proposition within the Knowledge community and a strong Knowledge Services brand in the business.
To build a strong network as part of Professional & Business Services (PBS).
- Develop relationships with the Knowledge leadership team members and ensures implementation of aligned PBS and Knowledge initiatives, share of best practices, proactively identify emerging issues and collaborate on the development of solutions
- Work with the key Knowledge stakeholders and other Knowledge Services Managers to seek out new opportunities for the provision of additional services marketing the capabilities of the teams within the Firm
- Keep up-to-date with the developments in knowledge systems and content trends, identify areas for improvement and work with key Knowledge stakeholders to implement these
- Devise and implement policies, procedures and standards to ensure the highest quality levels of all work produced by the team, and ensure consistency of standards across the Service Centers and continuous process improvement
- Optimise operational effectiveness and efficiency of the teams, and set KPIs, SLAs and quality standards
- Line manage the Teams, ensure leave requests are managed to provide appropriate coverage for the Knowledge community across the Service Centers and Firm given differing time zones and holiday periods
- Ensure the ongoing development of the Teams and arrange training as and where required, including a robust induction process, any necessary specialist systems, practice area or jurisdiction-specific training, and ensure in particular that Team members' technical knowledge and skill is outstanding so that they can advise clients proactively on best practice
- Responsible for the recruitment and resourcing of agile teams, ensuring the efficient allocation of resources within the Team, sharing resources across sub-teams where possible, whilst meeting quality standards and expertise requirements for the task
- Review the structure of the team on a regular basis to ensure it is optimal for the delivery of the services requested
- Anticipate and identify current and future people-related issues and gaps between the business need and people capabilities
- Set up, monitor and continuously improve the processes, best practice and training to deliver excellent client service
- Optimise operational effectiveness and efficiency, ensuring adherence to KPIs, SLAs and quality standards
- Seek continual feedback on the processes and look for opportunities to bring continual improvement and efficiencies
- Set up a robust escalation process which is clearly communicated within the teams and with clients
- Set up and run regular reports for clients and Knowledge leadership, including forecasting, red flag and financial reporting
Key Skills and Experienced Required
- Relevant university degree focusing on law or an information-related discipline
- Experience of a complex service delivery environment involving liaison with diverse and multiple stakeholders
- Strong technical skills, ideally including experience of SharePoint, content management and enterprise search to support effective knowledge sharing
- Strong project management skills to enable the management of day to day responsibilities as well as specific projects, coupled with the ability to leverage available resources
- Experience of working in a multi-country organization
- Familiarity with document abstraction and indexing, as well as taxonomies and metadata management. Experience of research and global professional services administration support is highly desirable
- Experience of working in a global professional services environment is highly desirable; exposure to legal business preferred
- Strong leader with significant management experience and a proven ability to motivate staff
- Outstanding communicator at all levels, with excellent business English and a strong ability to persuade
- Strong service orientation with the ability to focus on client needs
- Able to prioritize well and work independently with limited supervision
- Detail-oriented, methodical and highly organized, with strong time management skills
- Able to make effective, accurate decisions and judgment calls, including when to escalate issues, and to solve problems creatively and proactively
- Willing to be flexible with working hours given the global nature of the business and the fact that many clients will be in different time zones
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.