To deliver the In-Market operations and plans for the PensionsPractice Group in London; co-ordinate the BDMC function's officeresources and develop a strategic focused, market-leading BDMCbusiness-partnering capability which enables the Pensions PracticeGroup in London to win, retain and grow business through consistentlyhigh standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strongrelationship and account management.
The role will also involve providing similar support to the widerLondon Employment practice group, working alongside the EmploymentBusiness Development Manager – who leads in this area and who thisrole will directly report into.
The role will be split roughly 50/50 between Pensions and Employment – though we acknowledge there will be times where the focus will flexbased on priorities and timings of certain deliverables.
- Lead on the execution of BDMC plans for the Pensions PracticeGroup in London, bringing in BDMC Expert and End-to-End functions asrequired (these functions include central marketing, directories,proposals, key client management, data analytics and design teams).
- Support on London Employment priorities such as practice-drivenspecial projects, including thought leadership and practice clienttargeting; proposals and assist with a range of projects across thepractice group, under the guidance and direct supervision of theBusiness Development Manager, Employment.
- Work with Partners and fee earners to ensure their BDMCrequirements are strategically brainstormed, developed, implementedand communicated to other parts of the BDMC function; collaboratewith Expert functions to challenge requests where commerciallyprudent, e.g. pitch go/no go decisions
- Deliver high quality BDMC support and training to the PensionsPractice Group and Employment practice Group in London byintegrating contributions from Expert functions and End-to-Endservices with their own work, encompassing all aspects of the BD andMarketing mix including developing client or sector opportunities,developing and deploying marketing and communications campaigns,promoting our service lines, and delivering events and seminars
- Support the Partners and other fee earners to identify andimplement external profile raising opportunities, including ourthought-leadership programme/campaigns, article writing and speaking opportunities
- Maintain and develop the Firm's profile within the Pensionsindustry, including supporting our intermediaries programmes whichtargets actuarial consultancies and other sources of business withinthe industry
- Ensure that content and materials suitable for BDMC purposes areregularly reviewed and kept up to date; developing new materials foradditional services lines and opportunities as required.
Travel requirements: This role does not require travel
About the Team
The Firm’s BDMC function works closely with our Partners andleadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets,industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerfulpitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create newservice line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through asingle communications voice
You will report to: Business Development Manager, Employment PracticeGroup, London
Your direct reports, if any: None
- Head of Pensions, London
- Line management
- BDMC colleagues in Expert and E2E functions
- Partners and lawyers
- PBS colleagues
About the Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree desirable
- Demonstrable experience in a marketing and/or business developmentrole, preferably in a professional services environment
- Experience working with stakeholders and developing relationships
- Strong judgment and a demonstrable track record for confidentlysuggesting well-reasoned independent strategic recommendations and ideas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability effectively to co-ordinate competing priorities
- A good, developed practical understanding of marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in amatrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and abilityto collaborate with others
- High degree of attention to detail
- Knowledge of Pensions & Employment practice areas is desirablebut not essential.
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of highperformers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas anddemonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority inrelation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and toanticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a rangeof possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring differentapproaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind andcapacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholdsexemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and isself-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationshipsthrough collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory;shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns therespect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in othersas people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advisemany of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisationsthrough our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big doesnot mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows theirrole and has the support they need to perform it to the higheststandard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behavein a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also ourlargest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzieLondon is well established in the UK as a leading international lawfirm and is regularly involved in some of the country's mosthigh-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride andexperience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local officeenvironment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number ofrecent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15,17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals forthe last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for dealswith emerging market involvement, by both number of announced andcompleted deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in itsannual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world’s strongest legal brandfor the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by WorkingMother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top GlobalEmployers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well asone of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer'listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online applicationprocess for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we havereviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, pleasecontact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss anyadjustments you may require during the process please contact inconfidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us towork fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This isintrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision tobe the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisationswork best when people with different backgrounds and points of vieware brought together. We also know people perform at their best whenthey can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to servingour clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diversetalent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the bestpeople, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any),gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientationor age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as tocreate an exciting and diverse legal environment.