We are looking for a Paralegal to join the highly regarded Tax Department at Baker McKenzie LLP on a 12 month fixed term contract.
It is essential that the successful applicant has gained paralegal experience from a professional services environment, ideally within a law firm. We are looking for someone to join the team who has a very strong work ethic and a genuine interest in this area of law.
Please note that this role is a Paralegal position and is not an entry route to complete a training contract or professional qualification with Baker McKenzie. The two recruitment processes are completely separate.
The Global Tax team includes over 850 Tax professionals based across 77 offices worldwide, including the main financial centres and emerging markets. Our lawyers are familiar with the legal and regulatory environment, language, culture, and way of doing business in the jurisdictions where we operate.
We provide tax disputes, tax planning, transfer pricing, indirect (VAT) and wealth management advice across a range of sectors, including:
- Telecommunications, Media and Technology
- Oil & Gas • Construction and Mining
- Consumer Products and Retail
- Pharmaceuticals and Life Sciences
- To support fee earner administrative activities (for example, attending client meetings and note taking, bundling, indexing, general organisation etc)
- Drafting legal documents
- Client / counsel / HMRC communication and reporting
- Communication with fee earners and local counsel in other jurisdictions and globally
- Legal project management support
- Preparing and managing work plans, step lists and timelines
- Assisting with fee tracking
- Assist with billing (tracking actual fees to budget, preparing reports, reviewing bills)
- Attend meetings and take notes
- Organise and arrange client meetings / HMRC meetings
- General administrative and ad hoc tasks
Responsibilities for Tax Disputes work
- Complex filing
- Managing court/hearing bundles
- Disclosure exercises and searches for Documents on Relativity.
- Creating and managing Sharepoint sites for particular projects.
- Drafting basic letters (e.g. letters to Court when filing documents, or serving documents on the other side).
- Ad hoc tasks such as cutting and pasting large quantities of data between excel spreadsheets, inputting fee information into spreadsheets etc.
- Manage the production of documents (even those not typed personally) from initiation to delivery back to the relevant fee earner, involving Document Specialists as required.
- Ensure documents returned to fee earner accurately reflect the original request before returning work, including proofreading the document, checking spelling, grammar, sense, amendments and presentation.
- Undertake general filing administration, liaising with Filing Administrator as appropriate.
- Undertake limited typing i.e. urgent short documents (digital and non digital dictation).
- Work collaboratively with secretarial support for the Department.
- Organise and liaise with Filing Administrators for routine administration tasks and the Document Support Unit for document production/amendments.
- Work in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Supporting litigation / HMRC investigation discovery processes.
- Use Relativity e-discovery platform to perform document review.
- Liaise with First level reviewers and third party service providers / shared service centres.
- Legal research tasks (working with information services to find particular legal resources).
- Preparing case law summaries.
- Legal drafting (preparing letters to court / tribunal / HMRC).
- Proof reading lawyers work.
- Diarising deadlines and chasing up responsible person for output.
- Document management (maintaining correspondence files, creating court bundles).
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2018 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2019: currently ranked 10th
- The Lawyer: The Global 200 2018: ranked 4th
Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18: Five awards:
- Best International Firm for Women in Business Law
- Most Innovative International Firm
- Best International Firm for Talent Management
- Best in UK
- Beatriz Araújo won Best in Corporate Governance
To Apply At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
No Agencies Please
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
- Degree qualification or equivalent.
- Prior experience as a paralegal working in professional services, ideally legal, and ideally Tax and or Dispute Resolution. Prior experience using data management software such as Relativity and SharePoint is important for this role.
- High work standards
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organisational and problem solving skills
- Ability to confidently deal with demanding situations, people and requirements
- Strong document management skills
- Strong client service orientation
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel and online research tools
- Flexible and efficient work practices and ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines and manage own workload
- Good communication skills, including the ability to liaise with people across the business who are located in multiple countries
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- Keen to develop and use initiative