The job holder will report in to the Senior Business Development Manager, Tax.
The Business Development Executive will provide dedicated support to the Tax Practice Group with a variety of projects and tasks, focused on practice and industry group activity in line with the Tax business plan. The role covers the full marketing and business development mix.
We are looking for someone with BD and/or Marketing experience, who is highly organised, efficient and process-driven. Able to manage a varied workload and consistently meet deadlines. It's a great opportunity to gain valuable BD & Marketing experience in a friendly team and taking your career to the next level.
- Build relationships with key practice stakeholders and BD colleagues
- Identify points of contact to support you in your role
- Understand the firm's strategy and the role you will play in delivering this
- Begin to project manage targeting initiatives, RFPs etc. where appropriate
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with BD colleagues
- Keep up to speed with market developments
- Learn about the practice, sub-groups and the nature of the work undertaken
The role itself is varied but will include:
- Working closely with the Business Development team to support firm-wide, office and practice client targeting initiatives through proactive relationship management, client and industry research and opportunity spotting
- Supporting practice campaigns, including developing internal and external messaging, roll-out and evaluation
Support on pitches
- Supporting the ongoing development of pitch/capability/CV templates through the effective and regular gathering, updating and central storage of standard content
- Supporting live pitches, through research and the collation, drafting and formatting of information in response to RFP or ITTs
- Recording, tracking and analysing pitch activity
- Working alongside the London events manager to deliver a targeted programme of client seminars, roundtables, workshops for the Disputes group
- Supporting the practice group to identify and implement external profile raising opportunities, including the co-ordination of directory submissions, award submissions and client alerts
- Supporting internal profile raising opportunities
- Other marketing related activity
- Leading on the deal collection process for league tables
- Maintaining mailing lists for the Disputes practice in InterAction
- Maintenance of the Disputes Business Development intranet page (SharePoint)
- Work with BD colleagues across the office to identify and promote opportunities for collaboration and continuous improvement
Other Business Development activity
- Assisting with the development and preparation of annual business plans and budgets and
monitoring progress throughout the year
- Supporting on practice and industry research, including internal fee analysis and external desk research for clients and markets/industries
- Coordinating internal business development meetings with fee earners, including running agendas, recording key actions and ensuring implementation of actions
- Responding to requests from the central London business development to assist with central client targeting and other cross-practice business development initiatives
- Responding to requests for information from other BD and Marketing professionals across the Baker McKenzie network
- Work with the Communications team to draft Legal 500 and Chamber directory submissions
The Business Development (BD) team at Baker McKenzie focuses on account management, proposals, feedback, industry and sector markets and analysis.
A key focus of the BD team in London is to practice more proactive, substantive and strategic business development. The team works to engage and coach our lawyers, as well as targets and clients when dealing with conversations around their business, the legal issues they face and how we can understand and advise their business and industry. As a result, the role offers not only excellent exposure to Partners, Business Managers and Business Development professionals across the office but also with targets and clients directly, when promoting best practice and providing on-going analysis and status updates.
Baker McKenzie's tax team is unique in its size and depth of specialism. Globally, we have over 1,000 tax practitioners operating in 44 countries making our Tax practice the largest in the firm. In London, we have over 60 fee earners including 13 partners making us the largest law firm tax practice in the City. We have experts in transfer pricing, direct tax practitioners, wealth management, and VAT. The tax team is an important department for the Firm in London as we generate around 20% of the Firm's revenues both in London and globally.
The tax team has a strong team culture and is a genuinely nice group to work with. Our people drive our success so we aim to provide clear opportunities and support for personal development and career advancement for all team members. As we grow we also take steps to protect our distinctive team culture - we all work hard but we also like to have fun along the way.
The London tax team is ranked in Tier 1 in the International Tax Review's Global Tax and Transfer Pricing Guides across all areas of tax. In 2018 we won UK Tax Team of the year at the International Tax Review European Tax Awards Gala held in May.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Interim Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5739 or Email
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate will have the following key skills and competencies to perform this role:
- Work experience in a professional services environment, with experience gained in marketing and/or Business Development (Essential)
- Excellent academics, including a degree at 2.1 or above from a top university
- Strong project coordination and time management skills
- Demonstrate initiative and be a self starter
- Ability to deal with people at all levels, including fee earners
- Able to present ideas and views clearly and with confidence
- Strong sense of commerciality
- Client led approach
- Creative problem solving
- Strong Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- InterAction and SharePoint skills desirable
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm