We are currently looking for a Business Manager to join our Structured Assets (Taxation and Commercial Real Estate) practice groups in Sydney. The Business Manager role leads and coordinates business operations for Practice Groups in the Australian Offices with the aim of driving and enhancing practice performance in line with the global practice strategy and the overall strategy of the Firm.
The Firm's Services function works closely with our Partners and fee-earners to deliver comprehensive, high quality and high value services to our clients. It is geared towards improving operational and financial performance, and constantly rethinking the services we offer, as well as developing new innovative solutions and platforms.
The Business Management team:
- Works together with Practice Group leaders and steering committees to develop strategy and manage business operations.
- Ensures cross practice, cross-industry and cross-functional alignment, to achieve proper coverage and effective strategy execution.
- Drives improvement of operational and financial performance, identifying opportunities to enhance the service offering.
Main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advise and support the Practice Group Leaders on strategic, business and operational related topics.
- Develop, update and monitor the business plan of the practice and help develop and manage budget proactively to ensure effective implementation of Firm strategy.
- Drive improvements of operational and financial performance by monitoring and analysing key performance indicators.
- Ensure cross-practice and cross-functional initiatives implementation.
- Formulate and operationalize strategic initiatives.
- Capture efficiency and innovation opportunities.
- Ensure appropriate resourcing model, planning, and pipeline.
- Monitor and ensure effective implementation of client and business development plans.
- Lead and participate in projects for the practice.
Qualifications & Experience
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Relevant undergraduate degree required; an MBA is strongly preferred.
- Good professional management experience in a global setting, ideally in a professional services environment.
- Proficiency in law firm operations, legal accounting and finance.
- Proficiency in using MS Office applications, including PowerPoint and advanced functions of Excel.
- Understanding of the elements of law firm profitability at practice group, service line, client, matter and attorney level.
- Strong business sense and good judgment in problem solving.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Effective communication at all organizational levels.
- Experience with business management, including an understanding of the challenges of operating in different markets regionally.
- Ability to manage multiple complex operations with continual attention to detail (including accuracy with numbers).
- Experience conducting complex qualitative and quantitative analysis, interpreting results and suggesting action plans.
- Experience coordinating people in different locations and cultures.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm.
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, carer status and working style may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm. As part of our inclusive culture, we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Our bAgile program encourages a range of flexible work opportunities for all. We invite you to let us know of any reasonable adjustments you require to equitably participate in the recruitment process or in performing the requirements of this role.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Angelique Holden, Talent Management Consultant, 02 8922 5596.