David Zaslowsky chairs the Litigation Department of Baker McKenzie's New York office, and practices in the area of general commercial litigation and arbitration. He is the editor of the Firm's blockchain blog and co-editor of the Firm's International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter. David has a degree in computer science and has worked on numerous technical-related disputes. He has also worked on many cases involving issues of international litigation, including matters related to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, enforcement of foreign arbitral awards, the Alien Tort Claims Act, forum non conveniens, obtaining discovery in aid of foreign proceedings under 28 U.S.C. Section 1782, and foreign attachments. David has been included for a number of years in the Chambers USA Guide and Chambers Global Guide for his expertise in International Arbitration.
David has appeared in various federal and state courts — trial and appellate — throughout the country. He has also participated in arbitrations, both inside and outside the US, under the rules of various arbitral institutions. These include the American Arbitration Association, International Chamber of Commerce, Iran-United States Claims Tribunal, International Centre for Dispute Resolution and NASD, as well as ad hoc arbitrations. David also serves as an arbitrator and is on the panel of international arbitrators of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a captive insurance company in a series of ad hoc arbitrations arising out of incidents at nuclear power plants.
- Represented a chemical company in an ICC arbitration concerning termination of a long-term relationship for the development of certain state of the art technology.
- Represented an Indian bank in a USD 530 million claim under a series of guarantees against entities of an Indian conglomerate, including supervising global efforts to enforce the judgment.
- Represented an Israeli technology company in defending a claim concerning business in China.
- Defended a French manufacturer of smart cards accused of patent infringement.
- Represented an internet company in an HKIAC arbitration in a claim against the sellers of a Chinese internet company.
- Represented an Indian company against charges of theft of trade secrets with respect to state of the art resin production.
- Represented a technology development company in a patent infringement suit concerning the infringement of a patent for the design of cable television systems.
- In a case in which the claimant rejected our client's offer to make a payment to settle, defended this ICDR arbitration, defeated the claim in its entirety and prevailed on a counterclaim.
- Represented a well-known fashion brand in a trademark dispute with a former licensee.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York - Member, Arbitration Committee
- CPR Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution - Member, Arbitration Committee
- New York International Arbitration Center - Director
- American Bar Association - Litigation Section and International Section
- The International Arbitration Club of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States (2011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2000)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (1992)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey~United States (1986)
- New Jersey~United States (1985)
- New York~United States (1985)
- Yale Law School (J.D.) (1984)
- Brooklyn College (B.S. Computer Science, summa cum laude) (1981)
Editor, Blockchain Blog, Baker McKenzie
Co-Editor, Baker McKenzie International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter
Author, "3 Ways to Let Arbitrators Control International Arbitration Discovery," Law360, 21 May 2020
Speaker, Global Fintech Webinar Series: Blockchains in Financial Services and Technology Sectors, 10 May 2018
Speaker, "How Arbitral Tribunals Resolve Complex Damages Questions," New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section, 26 April 2018