Edwin Wong is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Funds group and focuses on advising clients on the formation of a broad spectrum of private investment funds, including private equity, real estate, infrastructure, venture capital, debt and clean technology funds.
Edwin has represented clients on their fund formation matters from offices in Sydney, London and Hong Kong. He has significant experience in the formation of co-sponsored private funds and has recently advised fund sponsors and investors on a number of prominent "club funds" and separate account arrangements. He also counsels on related carried interest and co-investment arrangements for fund management teams, and regularly advises fund management clients on regulatory and licensing issues in connection with the operation and marketing of their funds in Asia and abroad.
Edwin also represents prominent sovereign wealth funds and other sophisticated institutional investors in connection with their alternative assets investment programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Gaw Capital Partners on the formation of a number of fund vehicles, co-investment vehicles, joint ventures and separate accounts, including:
- Gateway Capital Real Estate Fund V, its flagship USD 1.3 billion Asia Pacific focused real estate fund (with a further USD 500 million of sidecar commitments);
- Gaw Hospitality Fund I, a USD 150 million Asia Pacific focused hospitality fund;
- Gateway Capital Real Estate Fund II, a USD 800 million Pan-Asian real estate fund; and
- GC Buckingham Investment, L.P, a GBP 250 million separate account to acquire prime commercial property at 123-151 Buckingham Palace Road in central London.
- Represented one of Asia's largest real estate companies on the formation of:
- a USD 1.5 billion PE real estate club fund focused on investments in mixed-use developments and commercial projects in China; and
- a series of real estate funds with aggregate commitments of USD 560 million focused on mixed-use developments and commercial projects in Vietnam.
- Represented Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its joint venture-type platform investments with prominent Asia-based fund managers including, Logos Singapore Logistics Venture L.P. (SGD 200 million), Logos Indonesia Logistics Venture L.P. (USD 100 million) and CPPIB-Alpha DC Fund (USD 250 million).
- Represented a major Chinese financial institution on the formation of a HKD 2 billion real estate fund to acquire commercial real estate in Hong Kong.
- Represented a Hong Kong-based fund manager and a major Chinese financial institution on the formation of a USD 650 million co-sponsored real estate private equity fund focused on global hospitality investments.
- Represented Next Capital Partners on the formation of a AUD 265 million private equity fund focused on middle market buyouts and expansion capital investments in Australia and New Zealand.
- Represented various institutional investors, including prominent sovereign wealth funds and Asian financial institutions, on their alternative investments programs into private equity, real estate and other fund vehicles.
- Represented international pension funds and Asian financial institutions on their secondary transactions involving the acquisition or sale of interests in a variety of fund vehicles.
Prior to joining the Firm, Edwin handled the following matters:
- Represented AnaCap Financial Partners in the formation of a EUR 900 million European financial services private equity fund, a EUR 450 million European-focused debt fund and various co-investment vehicles.
- Represented Delta Partners Capital in the formation of a USD 100 million TMT global emerging markets fund.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
- New South Wales~Australia (2003)
- Macquarie University (LL.B.) (2002)
- Macquarie University (Bachelor's Degree Commerce) (2002)