Edwin Wong is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Funds group and specialises in advising clients on the formation of a broad spectrum of private investment funds, including private equity, real estate, infrastructure, venture capital, debt and clean energy funds.
Edwin's funds experience is truly international, having represented clients on their fund formation matters from offices in London, Hong Kong and Sydney. He has particular expertise in relation to the formation of co-sponsored private funds and has recently advised fund sponsors and investors on a number of joint venture fund platforms. He also counsels on related carried interest and co-investment arrangements for fund management teams, and regularly advises fund management clients on regulatory and licencing issues in connection with the operation and marketing of their funds in Asia and abroad.
Edwin also represents prominent sovereign wealth funds and other sophisticated institutional investors in connection with their alternative assets investment programs.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in September 2015, Edwin spent 7 years in London practising in the private funds groups of a global US and UK law firm.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Gaw Capital Partners on the formation of numerous fund vehicles, co-investment vehicles, joint ventures and separate accounts, including Gateway Capital Real Estate Fund VI, its flagship USD 2.2 billion Asia Pacific-focused real estate fund (with a further USD 800 million of sidecar commitments).
- Represented Gaw Capital Partners on a joint venture with Allianz Real Estate to acquire the DUO Tower and DUO Galleria, a premium grade-A office asset with ancillary retail in Singapore, for approximately SGD 1.6 billion.
- Represented one of Asia's largest real estate companies on the formation of a USD 1.5 billion PE real estate club fund focused on investments in mixed-use developments and commercial projects in China.
- Represented one of Asia's largest real estate companies on the formation of a series of real estate funds with aggregate commitments of USD 560 million focused on mixed-use developments and commercial projects in Vietnam.
- Represented Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on the formation of Logos Singapore Logistics Venture and Logos Singapore Logistics Venture 2, a SGD 450 million and SGD 585 million, respectively, joint venture fund platform with Logos Property to acquire and develop logistics properties in Singapore.
- Represented Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on the formation of a JPY 81 billion sidecar co-investment vehicle with GLP, investing alongside GLP Japan Development Partners III to acquire and develop logistics assets in Japan.
- Jointly represented Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and APG Asset Management on the formation of a USD 1 billion joint venture fund platform with ESR to acquire and develop a best-in-class industrial and warehouse logistics portfolio in South Korea.
- Represented a major Chinese financial institution on the formation of a HKD 2 billion real estate fund to acquire commercial real estate in Hong Kong.
- Represented B.Grimm Capital Partners on the formation of a new investment fund management business and corresponding investment fund with a broad mandate to invest in Thai and ASEAN-focused private equity and venture capital investments.
- Represented various institutional investors, including prominent sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, fund-of-fund and other financial institutions, on their alternative investments programs into private equity, real estate and other fund vehicles.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
- New South Wales~Australia (2003)
- Macquarie University (LL.B.) (2002)
- Macquarie University (Bachelor's Degree Commerce) (2002)