As part of Baker McKenzie’s Funds practice group, Edwin Wong focuses on advising clients on the formation of a broad spectrum of private investment funds, including private equity, real estate, infrastructure, venture capital, debt and clean technology funds.
Edwin's extensive experience includes representing clients on their fund formation matters from offices in Sydney, London and Hong Kong, and the formation of co-sponsored private funds. He has recently advised fund sponsors and investors on a number of prominent "club funds" and separate account arrangements. He also counsels on related carried interest and co-investment arrangements for fund management teams, and regularly advises fund management clients on regulatory and licensing issues in connection with the operation and marketing of their funds in Asia and abroad.
Edwin also represents prominent sovereign wealth funds and other sophisticated institutional investors in connection with their alternative assets investment programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Gaw Capital Partners on the formation of a number of fund vehicles, co-investment vehicles, joint ventures and separate accounts, including: (i) Gateway Capital Real Estate Fund V, its flagship USD 1.3 billion Asia Pacific-focused real estate fund, (ii) Gaw Hospitality Fund I, a USD 150 million Asia Pacific-focused hospitality fund, (iii) Gateway Capital Real Estate Fund II, a USD 800 million Pan-Asian real estate fund, and (iv) GC Buckingham Investment, L.P, a GBP 250 million separate account to acquire prime commercial property at 123-151 Buckingham Palace Road in central London.
- Represented one of Asia's largest real estate companies on the formation of a USD 1.5 billion PE real estate club fund focused on investments in mixed-use developments and commercial projects in China.
- Represented Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its joint venture-type platform investments with prominent Asia-based fund managers including, Logos Singapore Logistics Venture L.P. (SGD 200 million) and Logos Indonesia Logistics Venture L.P. (USD 100 million).
- Represented a major Chinese financial institution in the formation of a HKD 2 billion real estate fund to acquire commercial real estate in Hong Kong.
- Represented a Hong Kong-based fund manager and a major Chinese financial institution in the formation of a USD 650 million co-sponsored real estate private equity fund focused on global hospitality investments.
- Represented Next Capital Partners in the formation of a AUD 265 million private equity fund focused on middle market buyouts and expansion of capital investments in Australia and New Zealand.
- Represented various institutional investors, including a sovereign investor and China Life, in alternative investments programs into private equity, real estate and other fund vehicles.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
- New South Wales~Australia (2003)
- Macquarie University (LL.B.) (2002)
- Macquarie University (Bachelor's Degree Commerce) (2002)