Dr. Michaela Weigl is a senior associate in the Frankfurt office of Baker McKenzie since June 2011 and was admitted as an attorney to the German bar shortly after. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie she studied law at the University of Passau. She obtained her Doctor of Law degree on a topic related to privacy in the Web 2.0. From July until December 2014 she practiced at the San Francisco office of Baker McKenzie. She is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and since May 2015 a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) and since May 2017 a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US). She is also the author of numerous articles on information technology law, in particular on data protection law and e-commerce law.
In 2017/2018, Michaela received several recommendations for data protection law in kanzleimonitor.de.
Representative Legal Matters
- Seconded to a large financial institution to advise on the implementation of the GDPR and data protection law in general.
- Advising several globally operating companies from various industries on the implementation of the GDPR.
- Advising a German car manufacturer on the data protection framework applicable to connected car services in 56 countries.
- Advising and representing a globally operating IT service provider in an outsourcing project.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) (2017)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) (2015)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Germany (2011)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (2011)
- University of Passau (2010)
- University of Passau (2008)
- San Francisco