Takuya Wada is a member of the Finance & Projects Group in Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office. He is a member of the Tokyo Bar Association.
Takuya focuses on cross-border and domestic acquisition finance, project finance, real estate finance, mezzanine finance using subordinated loan or preferred stock, hybrid loan, securitization, financial regulations, and mergers and acquisitions. He also works on other financial transactions, real estate transactions and general corporate transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the arranger and lender on its JPY 1 trillion bridge loan to finance part of Softbank Group's GBP 24 billion acquisition of ARM Holdings PLC. This transaction was awarded the M&A Deal of the Year (Premium), Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year and overall Japan Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2017.
- Represented the arranger and lender on its USD 12.5 billion loan facility to Suntory Holdings in connection with its USD 16 billion acquisition of Beam Inc. This transaction was named as an ASIAN-MENA Counsel Deal of the Year for 2014 and was awarded 2014 Japan Deal of the Year by FinanceAsia and the Debt Market Deal of the Year, M&A Deal of the Year and overall Japan Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2015.
- Represented various financial institutions and private equity funds in cross-border/domestic LBO transactions.
- Represented various financial institutions in structured finance transactions for major theme parks in Japan.
- Represented a global automotive manufacturer in connection with its auto loan securitization program in Japan.
- Represented financial institutions and business operators in project finance transactions in connection with large-scale coal- and LNG-fired thermal power generation projects and renewable energy power generation (eg, wind and solar) projects.
- Advised foreign financial institutions on financial regulations applicable to their services in Japan.
- Represented Dentsu Inc. in its GBP 3.2 billion recommended offer for Aegis Group PLC, a UK-listed media planning firm.
- Represented a major US musical instruments company in its acquisition of a publicly traded Japanese audio company.
- Advised a New York Stock Exchange listed US apparel company on the leases of its retail stores in Japan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2011)
- University of Virginia School of Law (LLM) (2018)
- University of Tokyo School of Law (JD) (2010)
- University of Tokyo Faculty of Law (LLB) (2007)
- Co-author, "Practical Methods for Resolving Disputes with Vietnamese Companies," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, October 2012, Language: Japanese