Sivapong Viriyabusaya joined Baker McKenzie in 2000 after almost two years of working at KPMG Advisory Limited. A member of the Corporate & Commercial Practice Group, his areas of practice include corporate law, joint ventures, commercial contracts, insurance law, trade competition, hotel and property development, natural resources and environmental regulations. In addition to his legal practice, Sivapong serves as visiting lecturer for various universities in the Bangkok area, including Thammasat University and Mahidol University.
Sivapong mainly practices in mergers and acquisitions, with a focus on the insurance, power, and petrochemical industries, as well as on major projects, real estate, and climate change (carbon trading). He has considerable experience in negotiating and drafting contracts, reviewing project documents and conducting due diligence investigations for both inbound and outbound merger and acquisition projects. Sivapong also assists with tax planning and corporate structuring/restructuring advice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a number of private and public multinational clients in relation to cross-border acquisition transactions involving various approaches such as share acquisitions, asset acquisitions, share swaps, etc.
- Acted for a major Australian bank in the acquisition of a securities company in Thailand and its subsequent disposal of a number of shares to a Thai bank, as well as assisting with its joint venture with same Thai bank.
- Advised on insurance regulatory matters, including general insurance business operations, bancassurance, unit-linked products, telemarketing, fronting arrangements, the establishment of insurance brokers and reinsurance.
- Advised both hotels and developers on hotel management and other related agreements, including agreements to manage serviced apartments.
- Advised two Thai refineries in relation to environmental matters and compliance.
- Advised multinational companies on foreign investment in Thailand, including on the Foreign Business Act, Board of Investment promotion, incentives provided by the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand, and registration and licensing requirements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association - Barrister-at-Law
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1996)
- American University (LL.M.) (1997)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B.) (1995)