Wibren Veldhuizen is a partner and steering committee member of Baker McKenzie's CG&R Global Industry Group for EMEA. He practices in Dutch and international tax law, including domestic and cross-border corporate law aspects.
He has serviced numerous CG&R companies for many years. His clients consist primarily of European and Asian multinationals.
Wibren is an active member of the NOB IFZ (the Fiscal Affairs Committee of the Dutch Association of Tax Advisors), which provides input to Dutch lawmakers and tax authorities on new laws, application and implementation.
Wibren has extensive experience in tax planning/restructuring engagements and has provided assistance to clients in developing strategies for the conclusion of ATR's as well as tax audit defense and tax litigation. Wibren has been instrumental as lead lawyer on some of the larger tax/transfer pricing litigations in the Netherlands, related to business restructurings.
Wibren is both a registered tax advisor and an attorney-at-law and represents multinational enterprises in tax planning (including cross-border reorgs, (re)financing structures and the conclusion of ATRs), M&A transactions and tax litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on joint venture between two multinational mining companies (pre- and post-closing) and subsequent listing.
- Advised and implemented the global reorganization of a large multinational, centralizing functions and risks in Switzerland (toll manufacturing).
- Litigated the first ever Dutch transfer pricing case on a large business restructuring, successfully defending the relevant exit fee and cost-plus remuneration post-closing.
- Design and implementation of supply chain restructuring of the European business of a large Japanese multinational.
- Design and implementation of IP on-shoring restructuring of a large US multinational, including relevant tax rulings.
- Advised on multiple corporate and tax restructurings, such as acquisition financing, hybrid and convertible loan structures, investment structures and post-acquisition integration restructurings for various multinationals from European jurisdictions, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Korea and Taiwan.
- Advised on multiple M&A deals, both from a corporate contracts and tax structuring perspective.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Association of Tax Advisers (NOB)
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2003)
- University of Leiden (2002)