Mini vandePol was appointed as the Chair of Baker McKenzie's Global Compliance & Investigations Group on 1 September 2014, after successfully completing five years as the Asia Pacific Regional Chair of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group. In this role, she leads a global team of more than 900 compliance and investigations practitioners in Asia Pacific, EMEA, Latin America and North America. Ms. vandePol's work engagements focus on anti-bribery and corruption investigations and risk management and mitigation in China, India and other parts of Asia in a variety of industries.
Ms. vandePol and her team are responsible for the Global Overview of Anti-Bribery Laws (2nd Edition 2016) and is the editor of the very popular Global Attorney-Client Privilege Handbook (2nd edition 2014). She has written a number of articles in journals and other publications both in Australia, India and elsewhere in Asia Pacific on topics ranging from corporate compliance investigations and enforcement, fraud risk, international trade and sanctions compliance, and ethical business practices. She is also a highly sought after media spokesperson and has made several appearances in business media in Hong Kong, India, Australia and the US.
Ms. vandePol has more than 26 years’ experience and is the trusted advisor to the boards and audit committees of the Firm’s most significant global clients — assisting them to establish and enhance their risk management programs and credibly investigate transgressions to support a strong commitment to a culture of compliance. She is engaged to perform risk assessments and conduct compliance training, undertake third party and target due diligence, provide advice on the structure of transactions and business models, assist with sanctions and trade related compliance issues and conduct internal investigations including reporting to regulators such as the US Department of Justice in respect of FCPA violations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Providing investigation and litigation management and oversight advice in Bangladesh for a global telecommunications giant.
- Representing a US parent and Australian subsidiary in relation to civil proceedings relating to alleged bribery in India and subsequent US Department of Justice investigation.
- Conducting an internal investigation in Hong Kong for a Fortune 500 consumer products manufacturer in respect of violations of its third party provider anticorruption policies by local management.
- Leading and managing a multinational, multiparty investigation for an ASX-200 infrastructure giant in respect of systemic violations and historic acts of corruption committed by its wholly owned subsidiary in Latin America.
- Acting in a large-scale global investigation by a major multinational into an allegation of systemic breaches of the FCPA by its employees in China and in Southeast Asia, including working closely with the US Department of Justice on behalf of our client to manage the scope and scale of the investigative process.
- Coordinating and managing a multijurisdictional team for an anticorruption investigation on behalf of a multinational FTSE 100 company into allegations made by an anonymous whistleblower of alleged bribery amounting to hundreds of millions of RMB by a senior employee of the Shanghai business over a number of years.
- Advising a leading Asia Pacific-based multinational on, and carrying out, an internal investigation of activities by its resellers in the Asian region.
- Conducting a compliance due diligence for a US global business seeking to enter into a joint venture in India.
- Advising the Australian subsidiary of a US multinational automotive manufacturer on the culture of compliance in India.
- Undertaking a risk assessment of compliance risk for an Australian-based resource company with a footprint throughout Asia Pacific.
- Listed as a Key Individual in Chambers Global Dispute Resolution 2016
- Featured in Global Investigations Review's 2015 Top 100 Women in Investigations
- Listed in the Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers under the Commercial Litigation in 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Noted as a Key Individual in Chambers Global Dispute Resolution 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Monash University's Global Leader's Network Advisory Committee Hong Kong - Chair
- Australian Corporate Lawyers Association - Member
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA) - Member
- Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution - Member
- International Women's Insolvency & Reconstruction Confederation - Member
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (Insolvency Interest Group) - Member
- Ms. vandePol is a member of the B20 (corporate arm of the G20) Anti-Corruption Task Force and chair of its International Conventions work stream, and was the sole external legal panelist on corruption issues to the top echelons of the Chinese government at the 2016 People's Congress. In addition, she is the Firm's representative assisting the World Economic Forum's Partnering Against Corruption Initiative (PACI).
- Registered Foreign Lawyer~Hong Kong (2014)
- Victoria~Australia (1990)
- Monash University (B.Sc.) (1989)
- Monash University (LL.B.) (1989)