Olivier Van Baelen is a counsel in the Tax Practice Group in the Brussels office.
Before joining Baker McKenzie in 2017, Olivier started his career in a leading multinational professional services firm as an indirect taxes consultant. He then joined a leading Belgian taxation law firm, where he gained a decade of experience in indirect taxes, real estate taxation, and tax litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted with multiple due diligence and acquisition structuring projects.
- Assisted several leading sports betting companies with VAT-related issues.
- Defended a leading US travel commerce platform in a VAT litigation.
- Advised companies in the healthcare, real estate, financial and insurance sector with VAT-related issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Fiscal Association (IFA), Belgian branch - Member
- Brussels~Belgium (2007)
- University of Leuven (Post-Graduate Tax degree) (2004)
- Université Catholique de Louvain (Law degree) (2003)
- Université Saint-Louis (Canadian law degree) (2000)
- Co-author, "FAQ and Reporting Forms Published by the Tax Authorities to Implement and Clarify the DAC 7 "light" Reporting Obligation(s)," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 21 January 2022
- Co-author, "TVA expert - monKEY.be" (online VAT database), Kluwer, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,2015, 2016, 2017
- Co-author, "L’instauration de l’unité T.V.A. en Belgique : quelques questions posées en pratique," in Liber Amicorum à Jacques Autenne, Bruylant , 2010
- Co-author, "European VAT Refund Guide 2007," European Indirect Tax Compliance Centre, Deloitte, 2007