Maxim V. Tsotsorin
Maxim counsels clients on all forms of domestic and cross-border M&A, joint ventures, corporate and financial venture capital, and other complex corporate transactions. He also advises companies and their boards of directors on corporate governance issues and securities law compliance matters. Maxim represents serial acquirers, strategic investors, venture capital funds and emerging growth technology companies across variety of industries, with primary focus in the technology and life sciences sectors.
As a seasoned corporate attorney, Maxim leads diverse teams of attorneys across specialties and in various jurisdictions on complex, transformative transactions and advises in-house legal departments, company boards and management, and third party advisors to achieve strategic objectives and meet critical transaction timelines. Maxim also assists clients with entering the US market, doing business globally and expanding internationally, including entity formation and corporate compliance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Physicians Realty Trust in its USD 750 million acquisition of a real estate portfolio from Landmark.
- Advised GRO Capital in its acquisition of Luxion.
- Advised One Equity Partners in its disposition of a portfolio company with operations in the Asia Pacific region.
- Advised Koble in its sale to a technology company.
- Advised Heraeus in its acquisition of Biotectix.
- Advised Wheatsheaf Group in its acquisition of Purfresh and in its minority investment in Shared-X.
- Advised Mitsui in its USD 350 million convertible debt investment in Hippo Enterprises.
- Advised SKC in a USD 131 million rights offering by its subsidiary Absolics.
- Advised Sino Biopharmaceutical and a 3W Capital-led investor consortium in a USD 91 million preferred equity investment in Treadwell Therapeutics.
- Advised Japan Bank for International Cooperation in its USD 23 million preferred equity investment in FirstElement Fuel.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- California~United States (2013)
- Russia (2001)
- Santa Clara University School of Law (J.D.) (2013)
- Kaliningrad State University, Russia (B. Juris) (2001)
Contributor, "Using Purchase Price as Retention: A Multijurisdictional Survey of the Tax Treatment of Holdback Arrangements," Baker McKenzie Insight (originally published by Bloomberg Law), October 2020
Contributor, "Fifty State Survey on Covenants Not to Compete," Association of General Counsel InfoPAK, September 2015
Author, "Open Source Software Compliance: The Devil Is Not So Black As He Is Painted," Santa Clara Computer & High Technology Law Journal, Volume 29, 23 April 2013