Javier Tovar has extensive experience in private investment and international private relationships. He has been Chairman in PROCAPITALES, CONASEV, Special Committee for the Sale of State Shares in Capital Markets and INDECOPI’s Market Access Commission. He chaired the technical commission in charge of the preparation of the telecommunications opening guidelines, and the special committee for the privatization of ENTEL PERU and Compania Peruana de Telefonos. He also led several local and international public tenders for companies in different sectors. Javier has also published several articles on matters of his specialty and has participated as speaker or panelist in seminars and forums.
Javier focuses his practice on private investment in infrastructure, concessions, telecommunications and capital market regulation. He has participated in many concession and public–private partnership processes, and in capital markets transactions, particularly structuring legal strategies and regulations to resolve regulatory and financial issues. He has also led several local and international public tenders for companies in different sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Consortium Salaverry in a Private Initiative in Puerto Salaverry.
- Advised Petroperu on Corporate Governance matters and access to the capital markets.
- Advised a company listed in the Lima Stock Exchange to adapt to best corporate governance practices.
- Advised Consortium Transportadora Callao in the preparation, presentation and procedure of the New Port for Minerals at the Terminal Port of Callao Private Initiative as well as the concession company Consorcio Transportadora Callao in the execution of the contractual agreement corresponding said project concession.
- Advised an international port business company as member of the Consortium International Multipurpose Terminal of Callao, in a project bidding of a private investment project.
- Advised Talma SA in the process of acquisition of Peruvian Airports (about 12 airports).
- Advised the Metropolitan Municipality of Lima (Metropolitan Institute Protransporte of Lima) on the public tender for the concession of the operation of the public transport service in the System of High Capacity Segregated Corridors.
- Advised Corporacion Andina de Fomento (CAF) on the design and proposal of a financial instrument to develop and finance concessions based on the future commitments of the government (the result was, basically, the Certificados de Reconocimiento de Derechos del Pago Anual por Obras (CRPAOs)).
- Conducted the sale of 26% of the shares of Telefonica del Peru through its listing in the New York Stock Exchange and a public international offer. The total amount of the transaction, including all the segments of the offer, was USD 1239 million.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Institute for Public Services Law (IDESER) - Member
- PROCAPITALES - Member of the Board of Directors from 2001 and Vice Chairman, 2003
- Lima Bar Association - Member
- Peru (1982)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Master's Degree International Law and Economics) (1987)
- University of Complutense de Madrid (Post Graduate Degree Legal Practice) (1982)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Law Degree) (1982)