Cynthia Tang is the head of the Dispute Resolution Group for the Firm’s Hong Kong and China offices. She has over 25 years of experience in Hong Kong and Asia. Chambers Asia Pacific, PLC Which Lawyer? and Asia Pacific Legal 500 have ranked her as one of the leading lawyers in the Financial Services/Regulatory field for 5 consecutive years. She previously served on a number of committees in the Securities and Futures Commission and is currently appointed by the Hong Kong Government as a Member of the Standing Committee on Company Law Reform and Disciplinary Panel A of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants. She is also a China-Appointed Attesting Officer.
Ms. Tang's practice focuses on domestic as well as global litigation and regulatory enforcement. She is an expert in listed company and financial services regulatory enforcement. She regularly advises local and multi-national corporations, directors, financial institutions and the financial services industry in complex commercial disputes and regulatory enforcement matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting as lead partner in multi-jurisdictional regulatory review involving HK, Taiwan, Singapore and Switzerland regulators.
- Acting as lead partner in anti-money laundering investigations of the HKMA for a number of banks.
- Representing a senior executive of a major financial institution in FCPA investigation and ICAC investigation.
- Acting as the lead partner in a complex review of the HIBOR fixing process of a major financial institution.
- Advised and represented the sponsors in the 2 major SFC investigations concerning alleged misconduct in the IPO of Euro-Asia Agricultural (Holdings) Company Limited in 2005 and Hontex International Holdings Ltd. in 2012.
- Advising a HK licensed corporation in a SEC investigation and US court action as well as the simultaneous SFC investigation in Hong Kong.
- Advising a listed company in HK with major operation in China in an ongoing SFC investigation and High Court litigation regarding alleged fraud and market misconduct.
- Served as a Member of the Market Misconduct Tribunal in the Sunny Global Holdings Limited proceedings with The Honourable Mr. Justice Lunn as Chairman.
- Acting as lead partner in advising and representing various banks in the HKMA and SFC investigation in relation to the distribution of Lehman minibond and related investment products, including advice on customers’ claims, HK LegCo inquiry and compliance/regulatory review.
- Represented a number of listed companies in various SEHK inquires and compliance matters including liaising with the Listing Division of the SEHK.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hong Kong Institute of Directors - Council Member
- Law Society of Hong Kong - International Legal Affairs Committee - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom
- Hong Kong
- College of Law at Guildford (S.F.E.)
- China University of Political Science & Law (LL.B. PRC Law)
- The University of Hong Kong (LL.M. Corporate & Financial Law)
- University of Nottingham (LL.B. Honors)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.