Allen Tan has extensive experience working on both international and local tax issues, with a special focus on the regional tax aspects of the transactions that he is involved in. Allen is recognised as a leading tax lawyer by leading industry and legal publications including Legal 500, International Tax Review and Chambers Asia Pacific.
Allen focuses on tax issues arising from mergers and acquisitions, private equity structuring, indirect taxes, transfer taxes, tax controversies, foreign direct investment, and cross-border tax planning issues. He also advises on customs and free trade agreements. In addition, he advises on wealth management matters for high-net-worth individuals, families and institutional clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a global brand name in restructuring its Asian operations which span 18 jurisdictions, setting up headquarters operations in Singapore, and factoring direct and indirect tax issues in the relevant jurisdictions.
- Representing a leading Fortune 500 multinational corporation in its global business reorganization. Work involves structuring and implementing the transfer, investment and further development of significant key business intangibles in Singapore.
- Advised a major EU multinational in the consumer products industry, on the reorganisation of its Asia Pacific supply chain.
- Advised a major US multinational on the strategy for acquiring a significant part of the business of another major multinational — a deal valued at more than USD4 billion; also advised on post-acquisition integration options.
- Advised a major US multinational in the manufacturing industry on an internal corporate restructuring involving, among others, multiple complex cross-border transfers, including transfers of various types of IP; with resulting income tax, GST and stamp duty implications. The value of assets involved in the restructuring is in excess of USD1 billion.
- Advised a major pharmaceutical company with structuring an acquisition in two major Asian markets; advising on tax treaty issues.
- Advising a major multinational corporation on unilateral transfer pricing adjustment, which involves negotiations with relevant tax authorities.
- Assisting a global multinational in handling a tax dispute with the Singapore tax authorities regarding the deductibility of certain expenses and involving tax liability potentially amounting to millions of dollars.
- Assisted a coalition of multinational companies before the Singapore Ministry of Finance, Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, and Economic Development Board in reviewing certain tax characterisation and treatment in Singapore.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar of England and Wales - Member - non practising
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Middle Temple Inn of Court - Barrister
- Singapore Institute of Accredited Tax Professionals (SIATP) - Accredited Tax Practitioner (Income Tax & GST)
- Bar of Malaysia & Kuala Lumpur - Member
- International Fiscal Association (Singapore Branch) - Executive Committee Member
- England & Wales (non-practising)~United Kingdom
- University of Sheffield
- National University of Singapore
- Nottingham Law School
- Kuala Lumpur
Baker & McKenzie.Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.