Allen Tan is the head of the Tax, Trade and Wealth Management practice in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. He has extensive experience working on both international and local tax issues, with a special focus on the regional tax aspects of the transactions that he is involved in. Allen’s clients include Global Fortune 500 multinational corporations and major Singapore conglomerates and he is recognised as a leading tax lawyer by industry and legal publications. Allen was also recently named the Asia Tax Practice Leader of the Year 2018 by International Tax Review.
Allen focuses on tax issues arising from mergers and acquisitions, private equity structuring, indirect taxes, transfer taxes, tax controversies, foreign direct investment, and cross-border tax planning issues. In addition, he advises on wealth management matters for high-net-worth individuals, families and institutional clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a global brand name in restructuring its Asian operations which spanned 18 jurisdictions, setting up headquarters operations in Singapore, and factoring direct and indirect tax issues in the relevant jurisdictions.
- Represented a leading Fortune 500 multinational corporation in its global business reorganization. Work involved structuring and implementing the transfer, investment and further development of significant key business intangibles in Singapore.
- Advised a major EU multinational in the consumer products industry, on the reorganisation of its Asia Pacific supply chain.
- Advised a major US multinational on the strategy for acquiring a significant part of the business of another major multinational — a deal valued at more than USD 4 billion; also advised on post-acquisition integration options.
- Advised a major US multinational in the manufacturing industry on an internal corporate restructuring involving, among others, multiple complex cross-border transfers, including transfers of various types of IP; with resulting income tax, GST and stamp duty implications. The value of assets involved in the restructuring is in excess of USD 1 billion.
- Advised a major pharmaceutical company with structuring an acquisition in two major Asian markets; advising on tax treaty issues.
- Advised a major multinational corporation on unilateral transfer pricing adjustment, which involves negotiations with relevant tax authorities.
- Assisted a global multinational in handling a tax dispute with the Singapore tax authorities regarding the deductibility of certain expenses and involving tax liability potentially amounting to millions of dollars.
- Assisted a coalition of multinational companies before the Singapore Ministry of Finance, Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, and Economic Development Board in reviewing certain tax characterisation and treatment in Singapore.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar of England and Wales - Member
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Middle Temple Inn of Court - Barrister
- International Fiscal Association (Singapore branch) - Chairman
- Singapore Institute of Accredited Tax Professionals (SIATP) - Accredited Tax Practitioner (Income Tax & GST)
- Singapore Institute of Accredited Tax Professionals (SIATP) - Tax & Levies Committee Member
- Bar of Malaysia & Kuala Lumpur - Member
- England & Wales
- University of Sheffield
- National University of Singapore
- Nottingham Law School
- Kuala Lumpur
Baker & McKenzie.Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.