Sarah Swain is a member of the Firm's Real Estate Practice Group in San Francisco. Her work primarily involves commercial leasing work, commercial real estate transactions, and construction law advisory matters. Prior to joining the Real Estate Practice Group, Sarah worked with the Firm's North America talent management team for eight years.
Sarah represents clients on matters relevant to commercial real estate projects, including acquisitions, dispositions, and leasing. She also represents clients on the full cycle of construction projects, from land diligence and acquisitions to developing complex design and construction agreements using various pricing and delivery models.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assists with drafting and negotiating commercial leasing and related documents for leased real properties throughout the US.
- Assists with periodic acquisitions and dispositions via transfers of owned real properties and leased real properties located throughout the US.
- Assists with ongoing construction advice and preparation of construction contracts for a religious nonprofit organization operating in hundreds of locations globally.
- Assisted with the preparation and negotiation of multiple construction contracts for renovation / fit-out projects for an information technology company operating at various locations in the US.
- Assisted with the real estate transactional aspects of the separation of a global industrial manufacturing company into two independent, industry-leading companies.
- Assisted with the real estate transactional aspects of the separation of a global computer software manufacturing company into two independent, industry-leading companies.
- Assisted with advice to a luxury fashion retailer and supported the transfer of approximately 250 leases, in connection with its global reorganization.
- Assisted with ongoing leasing advice to a global marketing services provider, in connection with its US properties.
- Supported the preparation of financing documentation in connection with the bankruptcy restructuring of two oil & gas companies, valued at USD 2.25 billion.
- Supported the construction of multiple US retail stores for one of Europe's largest grocery chains, valued at more than USD 400 million.
- Supported the closing of a joint venture agreement with a large US commercial real estate developer for mixed-use development of a vacant 62-acre parcel in Chicago, with projected development costs estimated at USD 3.9 billion.
- Assisted with advice to a leading integrated retailer in connection with the transfer of 69 of its properties into a real estate investment trust, as part of a larger transaction involving the transfer of 235 of its properties valued at approximately USD 2.3 billion.
- Assisted with advice to a luxury hotel owner for the defeasance of a first mortgage and closing of a new USD 65 million mortgage loan for a resort in Mexico and for the USD 454 million refinancing of three luxury hotels in the United States.
- California~United States (2019)
- Illinois~United States (2014)
- John Marshall Law School (JD) (2014)
- Tufts University (BA English) (2002)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.