Michio Suzuki is a partner in the Firm's Antitrust/Competition and Corporate/M&A Groups in Tokyo. Michio's practice focuses on antitrust and competition law (merger control, cartels and distribution), and banking and finance law (structured finance, project finance, securitization, trusts and financial regulations). He is fluent in English and French. Michio has co-authored a number of publications related to his field and has been named a future leader by Who's Who Legal (Competition) from 2019 to 2023 and a next generation lawyer/ rising star by Legal 500 (Competition) from 2017 to 2023.
Michio has extensive experience advising Japanese and foreign companies on merger control aspects of M&A transactions, cartel investigations by competition authorities and associated civil litigation, antitrust and competition law compliance, as well as banking and finance transactions, including structured finance and project finance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented numerous Japanese and foreign companies in multijurisdictional merger control matters, including complex cases involving remedies. Recent cases in which Michio has been involved include the following:
- Represented and advised major Japanese trading houses in relation to merger control aspects of their acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Represented and advised major Japanese financial institutions in relation to merger control aspects of their acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Represented and advised a Japanese electronics conglomerate in relation to its acquisition of a competitor's power grid business.
- Represented and advised a Japanese electronic components manufacturer in relation to its acquisition of both domestic and overseas competitors.
- Represented and advised a multinational EMS in relation to its acquisition of a Japanese electronics manufacturer.
- Represented and advised multinational pharmaceutical/medical device manufacturers in relation to their acquisitions of competitors.
- Represented Japanese and foreign companies in an international and domestic cartel investigation across a wide range of industries, including electric wiring, automotive products and services and electronic components.
- Advised Japanese and foreign companies on regulatory compliance in the context of antitrust and competition law as well as distribution regulations.
- Represented Japanese and foreign financial institutions in various banking and finance transactions, including structured finance and project finance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2007)
- New York University School of Law (LLM) (2012)
- Keio University (LLM) (2005)
- Keio University (LLB) (2003)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.