Michio Suzuki is an associate in the Firm’s Antitrust/Competition, Corporate/M&A and Banking & Finance groups in Tokyo. He has extensive experience advising Japanese and foreign corporations on the negotiation and drafting of agreements, as well as in dealing with merger control matters — including prior consultation and negotiations with the relevant competition authorities. Mr. Suzuki is fluent in English and French.
Mr. Suzuki’s practice focuses on antitrust, cartel and M&A matters. He also advises on banking and securities matters, as well as business revitalization and other general corporate law issues. Mr. Suzuki regularly handles applications for leniency in cartel cases. He is seasoned in project finance transactions — including PFI and PPP — as well as securitization of real estate and other assets, trust-related matters, financial regulations, civil rehabilitation and corporate reorganization.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major Dutch enterprise on its M&A transaction with a major Japanese enterprise, dealing with merger control regulations in Japan and other countries.
- Advised a major French enterprise on its M&A transaction with a major Japanese enterprise, dealing with merger control regulations in Japan and negotiating with the Japanese competition authority.
- Advised major Japanese enterprises in their application for leniency.
- Advised major Japanese and foreign trust banking corporations on various trust structures whose assets included real estate, receivables and securities, and prepared the respective agreements.
- Advised major Japanese asset management corporations with respect to real estate securitization deals that utilize TMK (Tokutei Mokuteki Kaisha) and/or trust structures.
- Advised major US and Japanese corporations acting as sponsors for corporations undergoing rehabilitation or corporate reorganization proceedings, particularly with respect to the restructuring scheme; conducted negotiations and prepared the respective documentation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2007)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M.) (2012)
- Keio University (LL.M.) (2005)
- Keio University (LL.B.) (2003)