In addition to pharma, biotech, medical device, diagnostics, and technology companies, Randy advises private equity, venture capital, and investment banking firms. Randy counsels on alternative ﬁnancing arrangements such as royalty monetizations. He also handles technical contractual arrangements for drug discovery, development, manufacturing and supply, marketing and co-promotion, and outsourcing in the life sciences industry.
Additionally, he advises boards of directors and signiﬁcant shareholders on disclosure issues, corporate communications policies, and ﬁduciary duty matters. He serves clients throughout Europe and Asia, and across the United States.
Randy's wealth of global life sciences experience draws many invitations to speak at industry events worldwide. He has spoken on such topics as mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, and licensing and collaboration transactions in the United States at Allicense, BIO and LES annual meetings; in Canada at BIOMedex; and in China at BIO Forum; as well as at other life sciences–related conferences. He has also been a guest lecturer at the Rutgers Business School MBA Biotechnology Commercialization Concentration.
Representative Legal Matters
Takeda in its strategic collaboration with KSQ Therapeutics to identify optimal T cell and NK cell gene targets screened using KSQ’s CRISPRomics technology and to develop and commercialize novel cell and non-cell immuno-oncology therapies.
NBE Therapeutics in its collaboration with Exelixis to discover and develop antibody-drug conjugates for oncology applications.
Takeda in the sale to Neuraxpharm of global rights to the prescription brand Buccolam® (indicated for the emergency treatment of epileptic children with prolonged acute convulsive seizures).
BeiGene in its collaboration with Assembly Biosciences to develop and commercialize in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan Assembly’s portfolio of three clinical-stage core inhibitor candidates for the treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection.
GSK Consumer Healthcare in its collaboration with Mammoth Biosciences to develop a rapid, handheld CRISPR-based test to detect novel coronavirus infections.
H. Lundbeck A/S in the acquisition of Alder BioPharmaceuticals, Inc, a company committed to migraine treatment and prevention, a transaction valued at USD 1.95 billion.
Galapagos in its transformative USD 5.1 billion research and development collaboration with Gilead.
H. Lundbeck A/S in its acquisition of Abide Therapeutics, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focusing on multiple indications in neurology and psychiatry, for USD 250 million upfront and up to an additional USD 150 million in development and sales milestones.
Prior to joining the Firm, Randy provided counsel to:
- Incyte in its agreement with Foundation Medicine for the development, regulatory support and commercialization of companion diagnostics, with an initial focus on CDx development for Incyte’s selective FGFR1/2/3 inhibitor in patients with cholangiocarcinoma.
Amarin in its collaboration agreement with Mochida Pharmaceutical for the development and commercialization of drug products based on the omega-3 acid, EPA, to treat patients at risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Dealmakers Award to Baker McKenzie Life Sciences Group, NJLJ Professional Excellence 2020
- Band 1, Corporate/M & A, New Jersey, Chambers USA, 2020
- Band 2, Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial – USA, Chambers Global, 2020
- Band 2, Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial, Nationwide, Chambers USA, 2019-2020
- Life Sciences Star, Financial and Corporate, LMG Life Sciences, 2012-2019
- Band 4, Corporate M & A (International & Cross-Border) – USA, Chambers Global, 2020
- Band 4, Corporate/M&A, New York, Chambers USA, 2019
- Ranked, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2006, 2008-2017
- Recommended, Industry focus: Healthcare: life sciences; Recommended, Intellectual property: Patents: licensing, The Legal 500 US, 2018
- Recommended, Healthcare: Life Sciences, The Legal 500 US, 2013-2017
- Listed, Law360 Life Sciences MVP, 2014
- Listed, Law360 Healthcare MVP, 2012
- Recognized, Life Sciences, Who’s Who Legal, 2016, 2018
- Recommended in Life Sciences Commercial and Partnering, PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook, 2008
- Recommended in Life Sciences Commercial and Partnering by PLC Cross-border Life Sciences Handbook, 2007/2008
- Listed, New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2005-2007, 2018-2019
- Recipient, Philadelphia Business Journal Inaugural Life Sciences Award for Best Consultant (Later Stage), 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member, Business Law Section
- New Jersey~United States
- Missouri~United States
- New York~United States
- Pennsylvania~United States
- New York University School of Law (JD) (1982)
- Yale University (BA) (1977)
Executive Council & the New York Venture Capital Association Health & Technology Summit 2018
JPMorgan’s 34th Annual Healthcare Conference in San Francisco
Allicense 2010: Redefining the Threshold of Innovation Conference