In addition to pharma, biotech, medical device, diagnostics, and technology companies, Randy advises private equity, venture capital, and investment banking firms. Randy counsels on alternative ﬁnancing arrangements such as royalty monetizations. He also handles technical contractual arrangements for drug discovery, development, manufacturing and supply, marketing and co-promotion, and outsourcing in the life sciences industry.
Additionally, he advises boards of directors and signiﬁcant shareholders on disclosure issues, corporate communications policies, and ﬁduciary duty matters. He serves clients throughout Europe and Asia, and across the United States.
Randy's wealth of global life sciences experience draws many invitations to speak at industry events worldwide. He has spoken on such topics as mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, and licensing and collaboration transactions in the United States at Allicense, BIO and LES annual meetings; in Canada at BIOMedex; and in China at BIO Forum; as well as at other life sciences–related conferences. He has also been a guest lecturer at the Rutgers Business School MBA Biotechnology Commercialization Concentration.
Representative Legal Matters
Advising H. Lundbeck A/S in its pending acquisition via tender offer of Alder BioPharmaceuticals, in a transaction valued at approximately USD1.95 billion, consisting of cash and contingent value rights (CVRs).
Galapagos in its transformative USD 5.1 billion research and development collaboration with Gilead.
- H. Lundbeck A/S in its acquisition of Abide Therapeutics, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focusing on multiple indications in neurology and psychiatry, for USD 250 million upfront and up to an additional USD 150 million in development and sales milestones.
Prior to joining the Firm, Randy provided counsel to:
- Incyte in its agreement with Foundation Medicine for the development, regulatory support and commercialization of companion diagnostics, with an initial focus on CDx development for Incyte’s selective FGFR1/2/3 inhibitor in patients with cholangiocarcinoma.
Amarin in its collaboration agreement with Mochida Pharmaceutical for the development and commercialization of drug products based on the omega-3 acid, EPA, to treat patients at risk of cardiovascular disease.
Merck KGaA in its novel risk-sharing collaboration agreement with SFJ Pharmaceuticals for development of Merck’s abituzumab as a first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer in combination with Erbitux® and chemotherapy.
AstraZeneca in the co-development agreement between its subsidiary, Pearl Therapeutics, and Avillion for the global advancement of Pearl Therapeutics’ PT027, a treatment for asthma.
Radius Health in its license and development agreement with Teijin relating to abaloparatide-SC in Japan.
Celgene in its licensing agreement with Amunix relating to Amunix's XTEN and ProTIA technology to augment the discovery and development of therapeutic products.
Shire in its agreement with Novimmune granting Shire exclusive worldwide rights to develop, manufacture and commercialize novel bispecific antibodies for the treatment of hemophilia A.
- Band 2, Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial, Nationwide, Chambers USA, 2019
- Band 4, Corporate/M&A, New York, Chambers USA, 2019
- Ranked, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2006, 2008–2017
- Recommended, Healthcare: Life Sciences, The Legal 500 US, 2013–2017
- Recommended in Life Sciences Commercial and Partnering, PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook, 2008
- Recommended in Life Sciences Commercial and Partnering by PLC Cross-border Life Sciences Handbook, 2007/2008
- Recommended, Industry focus: Healthcare: life sciences; Recommended, Intellectual property: Patents: licensing, The Legal 500 US, 2018
- Listed, New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2005–2009
- Recipient, Philadelphia Business Journal Inaugural Life Sciences Award for Best Consultant (Later Stage), 2010
- Life Sciences Star, Financial and Corporate, LMG Life Sciences, 2012–2018
- Listed, Law360 Life Sciences MVP, 2014
- Listed, Law360 Healthcare MVP, 2012
- Recognized, Life Sciences, Who’s Who Legal, 2016, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member, Business Law Section
- New Jersey~United States
- Missouri~United States
- New York~United States
- Pennsylvania~United States
- New York University School of Law (JD) (1982)
- Yale University (BA) (1977)
Executive Council & the New York Venture Capital Association Health & Technology Summit 2018
JPMorgan’s 34th Annual Healthcare Conference in San Francisco
Allicense 2010: Redefining the Threshold of Innovation Conference