Michael Starkey is a senior associate in the Employment & Compensation team in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office. Michael has over five years' experience practicing exclusively in employment law.
Michael has advisory and litigious experience across all areas of employment law, including employment contracts; employee entitlements; employee issues in restructures, mergers, and acquisitions; executive employment issues; remuneration and superannuation; modern award issues; independent contractor issues; post-employment restraints; discrimination, bullying, and harassment; Fair Work Commission claims and other litigation; workplace investigations; and enterprise bargaining.
Michael also conducts client education in key areas, including compliance, behaviour and culture, work health and safety, and performance management.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising numerous clients in relation to changes to the annualised salary provisions of a number of modern awards, including organisation-wide award reviews, drafting required documentation, and advice on compliance.
- Associate acting for a client in the FMCG industry in the defence of a sexual harassment claim brought in the Federal Court by an independent contractor against a senior employee. Matter settled at mediation with favourable outcome.
- Associate acting for a major multinational financial services company in the successful defence of a Federal Circuit Court general protections claim, including preparation of affidavit evidence and attendance at hearing.
- Managing a major project advising on the classification of a client's contractor workforce (400+ individuals) for the purposes of advising on liability for superannuation and employee entitlements.
- Advising numerous clients on transfers of business and business restructures, including drafting of redundancy documents.
- Sir Alexander Beattie Prize in Industrial Law (University of Sydney, 2014)
- Harmers Workplace Lawyers Prize for Labour Law (University of Sydney, 2014)
- Harmers Workplace Lawyers Prize for Anti-Discrimination Law (University of Sydney, 2014)
- Street Children's Legal Atlas volunteer
- New South Wales~Australia (2016)
- High Court of Australia (2016)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Arts) (2014)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Laws) (2014)
Firm Committee Memberships
- Baker LGBTI Committee - member