Dr. Anika Schürmann is a counsel in Baker McKenzie’s Dusseldorf office. She is a bar-certified professional in criminal law (Fachanwältin für Strafrecht) and advises in antitrust and competition law, as well as in white collar crime and compliance investigations. She is admitted to the Dusseldorf bar and is a member of the German Association of Antitrust Lawyers as well as the Criminal Law Section of the German Bar Association. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2013, Anika was a member of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer’s antitrust team (2007-2011), and practiced in a Dusseldorf law firm that specializes in white collar crime law (2012-2013).
Anika advises clients on all aspects of German and European antitrust and competition law, with a particular focus on complex antitrust proceedings before German and European competition authorities and courts. Anika also has in-depth experience in conducting investigations and in designing and implementing compliance programs in the areas of antitrust and anti-corruption. In addition, she frequently represents companies in national and multinational merger control proceedings as well as advising them on the admissibility of distribution and cooperation agreements. Recent clients include German and multinational companies from the transport, finance and insurance sector as well as from the energy, chemical and construction industry.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised in a number of high-profile national and international cartel investigations, including Deutsche Bahn AG in the freight forwarding cartel and the Brenntag Group in the chemical distribution cartel.
- Defended German and international clients against follow-up cartel damage claims in court proceedings and settlements.
- Advised companies on the conception and implementation of compliance programs and conducted compliance trainings (antitrust and anti-corruption).
- Defends a former personally liable shareholder in the Sal Oppenheim proceedings against breach of trust charges.
- Advised clients from the financial and insurance sector, the chemical industry and other industries on vertical distribution agreements and horizontal cooperation agreements.
- Represented private equity companies, including Oaktree Capital and BC Partners, as well as clients from various other industries in EU and multinational merger control proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Bar Association - Criminal Law Section
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers - Member
- German Women Lawyers Association - Member
- Germany (2007)
- Fachänwaltin für Strafrecht (Attorney specializing in Criminal Law) (2016)
- University of Bonn (Dr. iur.) (2009)
- Higher Regional Court of Cologne (Second State Exam) (2006)
- University of Edinburgh (LL.M. European Law) (2003)
- University of Bonn (First State Exam) (2002)
- University of Lausanne (1999)