Prof. Dr. Michael Schmidl is co-head of the German Information Technology Group and is based in Baker McKenzie's Munich office. He is an honorary professor at the University of Augsburg and specialist lawyer for information technology law (Fachanwalt für IT-Recht). He advises in all areas of contentious and non-contentious information technology law, including internet, computer/software, data privacy and media law. Michael also has a general commercial law background and has profound experience in the drafting and negotiation of outsourcing contracts and in carrying out compliance projects.
Michael advises in all areas of contentious and non-contentious information technology law, including Internet, computer/software, data privacy and media law. He also advises on matters relating to intellectual property, unfair competition, compliance and general contract law. Michael is experienced in general commercial law, and is likewise seasoned in drafting and negotiating outsourcing contracts, as well as in carrying out compliance projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on several outsourcing projects in the banking and insurance sector.
- Representing some of the largest global insurance companies and their affiliates with respect to global IT outsourcing projects.
- Representing global pharmaceutical companies in developing wearable devices and health apps.
- Drafting and negotiating license and provider agreements for companies in the banking sector.
- Established network of intra-group and shared services agreements at a Global Tech company.
- Advised on privacy structure of health cloud solutions in over 70 countries and privacy compliance of global roll-out of wearables.
- Advised a global pharma company on a global privacy compliance project.
- TMT: Data Protection, TMT: Information Technology, Chambers Europe 2021
- Leading individual in IT & outsourcing, digitalization, Legal 500 Europe, 2021
- Leading individual in IT & outsourcing data protection, Legal 500 Europe, 2021
- Top IT-lawyers 2019, Wirtschaftswoche
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for date protection law, information technology and outsourcing, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Germany (2000)
- Fachanwalt für IT-Recht (Attorney Specializing in Information Technology Law)
- University of Munich (LL.M. Europe) (2004)
- State of Bavaria (Assessor Exam) (2000)
- University of Munich (Referendar Exam) (1998)
- University of Bayreuth (Doctorate) (1997)
- Chambre de Commerce et d Industrie de Paris (Diploma Supéerieur) (1996)
- University of Bordeaux (Maîtrise en droit) (1995)
- University of Bayreuth (Diploma Economics) (1995)
- Co-author (with Julia Kaufmann, Michaela Nebel, Florian Tannen, Holger Lutz), "Another Million Euro Fine under the GDPR in Germany - What does it tell us?," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 16 October 2020
- Co-author (with Elisabeth Dehareng, Lukas Feiler, Francesca Gaudino, Julia Kaufmann, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel, Florian Tannen, Magdalena Kogut-Czarkowska, Joanna De Fonseka, Benjamin Slinn), "Europe: Guidelines on the concepts of controller and processor in the GDPR," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 22 September 2020
- Co-author (with Michaela Nebel, Holger Lutz, Julia Kaufmann, Florian Tannen, Nadine Neumeier), "Germany - Schrems II: Opinion of the European Data Protection Committee," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 24 July 2020
- Co-author (with Julia Kaufmann, Florian Tannen, David Pfahler, Frank Pfüger, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel), "Germany: How to get Governmental Funding for Digital Health Apps?," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 23 July 2020
- Co-author (with Julia Kaufmann, Florian Tannen, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel), "Germany: The decision of the German Federal Court of Justice on cookie consent - and further implications," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 9 July 2020
- Co-author (with Michaela Nebel and Julia Kaufmann), "Europe: The "New Deal" - Consumer Protection Law Developments in the EU", Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 1 July 2020
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.