Dr. Thomas Schänzle is co-head of the German Tax Practice Group. He has extensive experience (more than 26 years) in providing tax advice to German and foreign groups, including German family-owned groups, on complex domestic and international corporate tax issues with strong focus on deal-related tax structuring and internal group reorganizations.
Thomas joined Baker McKenzie in April 2018. Before he was an international partner with PwC and a highly ranked German tax law firm and held key positions in the central tax department of Siemens in Munich and Brussels. He holds a diploma in International Business Administration from the European Business School (ebs) and is a certified German tax advisor since 2001. On top of that, Thomas holds a PhD in International Taxation and a Certificate in International Accounting (CINA).
Thomas has published numerous tax articles during his professional career and is a frequent speaker at national and international tax conferences and, inter alia, a member of the Tax Committee of Frankfurt's Chamber of Commerce and IFA.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Thomas was involved in several notable transactions, including:
- Advised a German multinational joint venture on simplified and tax efficient restructuring of its domestic and international group structure prior to an IPO.
- Advised a German IT company on tax efficient restructuring of its group structure prior to an IPO.
- Advised US multinationals on IP migrations and IP related withholding tax matters.
- Advised a French multinational on a carve-out of a business division.
- Advised a leading German Dax30 life science firm on structuring of an international group reorganization and a post-deal integration covering multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised a family-owned German led multinational on a post-deal integration covering multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised a German led energy supplier on the reorganization of the entire group structure and structuring of offshore wind park joint ventures.
- Advised on the structuring of a joint venture between two German automobile manufacturers, advising both parties.
- Advises German and foreign multinationals in tax audits.
- The Best Lawyers in Germany 2022 edition for Tax Law
- Top Lawyer 2020 International Tax Law, highly recommended advisor, Wirtschaftswoche 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Fiscal Association (IFA) - Member
- Tax Committee of Frankfurt's Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Germany (2001)
- European Business School (ebs) (PhD) (2000)
- European Business School (ebs) (Dipl.-Kfm.) (1996)
Co-author, “§ 8 Ermittlung des Einkommens,“ in Körperschaftssteuer KStG, 2. Aufl., § 8a KStG (Zinsschranke), Arne Schnitger / Oliver Fehrenbacher (Hrsg.), 2018
Co-author (with Sonja Klein, Christian Port, Lars Haverkamp, Udo Henkel), contributed article in handbook "Steuerrecht international tätiger Unternehmen," Verlag Dr. Otto Schmidt, 5th edition, 3 April 2018
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Alexander Wolff, Dr. Oliver Socher, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.